• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A gift from family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drikkity

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My father recently passed away. My mother has received a generous amount of money from his retirement fund as well as insurance policies. To try to help my brother and I with our financial situations she decided to give us each a gift of $20,000. After receiving said gift I was informed by someone that we would have to pay a gift tax and unearned income tax. Is this correct? How much will each of us be liable for?

LdiJ

My father recently passed away. My mother has received a generous amount of money from his retirement fund as well as insurance policies. To try to help my brother and I with our financial situations she decided to give us each a gift of $20,000. After receiving said gift I was informed by someone that we would have to pay a gift tax and unearned income tax. Is this correct? How much will each of us be liable for?
Any gifting in excess of 15,000 per year, per person requires the gifter to file a gift tax return. The gifter does not actually have to pay any taxes on gifts until they have used up their lifetime exclusion for gifting, which right now is around 11 million dollars.

It would have been easier if your mother had gifted you 15k or less now, and the rest next year, but at least she will only be out the cost of filing a gift tax return. You and your brother won't pay any taxes on the money at all.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

My father recently passed away. My mother has received a generous amount of money from his retirement fund as well as insurance policies. To try to help my brother and I with our financial situations she decided to give us each a gift of $20,000. After receiving said gift I was informed by someone that we would have to pay a gift tax and unearned income tax. Is this correct?
The other replies have addressed the federal gift tax. I'll mention the part they didn't — there is no such thing as a federal or Ohio "unearned income tax." Receiving a gift is not income for either federal or Ohio income tax either. The only tax to be concerned about here is the federal gift tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">