• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A green Card request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mz.al

What is the name of your state?Kentucky

Dear Sir/mam
I became a citizen on May of 2018, this year.
I would like to get a green card for my mother who is 72 years old and live in Iraq.
I have 4questions
1-Which form can i use for the USCIS
2- I am a low income in the state of KY, i am working nice i came here in 2012, pay taxes every year, Does my low income status affect my request for a green card for my mother.
3- Does the application at the USCIS require that my mother needs to make an appointment for an interview in American Ambassy in Iraq?
4- who long before getting a Green card for her, an estimate time frame
Thanks

FlyingRon

Are you a US citizen? If you are not, you will not be able to use your status to bring in a parent. If you are a US Citizen then the rest of the post applies.

1. You use I-130
2. Yes, it will count against you. You must submit an affidavit of support and show you can keep her off public assistance. You'll have to show your income (depending on your household size) is $20,575 or more. If you have others that are willing, you can jointly enter into the support sponsorship.
3. Parents of US citizens don't go through the preference category thing, so they get normal bureaucratic processing times of five to nine m onths.

FlyingRon

I could swear it just said he came to the US in 2012 when I read it originally. Anyhow my advice stands.
Note that notwithstanding the rule change, when coming in based on family preference required an affidavit of support already.

t74

There are other forums more appropriate for your questions. Look for visajourney.

Be aware that your mother would not qualify for government funded health care upon her arrival. You need to consider the cost of health insurance, drugs, and health professional visits as well as normal living expenses in your planning.

Just Blue

I
I could swear it just said he came to the US in 2012 when I read it originally. Anyhow my advice stands.
Note that notwithstanding the rule change, when coming in based on family preference required an affidavit of support already.
It did say that...I remember thinking "Wow! That was quick!"

quincy

What is the name of your state?Kentucky

Dear Sir/mam
I became a citizen on May of 2018, this year ... 2- i am working nice i came here in 2012, pay taxes every year, Does my low income status affect my request for a green card for my mother.
3- Does the application at the USCIS require that my mother needs to make an appointment for an interview in American Ambassy in Iraq?
4- who long before getting a Green card for her, an estimate time frame
Thanks
It still says 2012. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">