• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A horrible mistake w/ a minor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyjeff

You gave weed to a child under your care.

That could very well be a career changing decision... and should be. It showed extremely poor judgement... and may have legal consequences as well.

I would plan on being fired. I would also consider a different career.

CourtClerk

You gave weed to a child under your care.

That could very well be a career changing decision... and should be. It showed extremely poor judgement... and may have legal consequences as well.

I would plan on being fired. I would also consider a different career.
I couldn't agree more...

cyjeff

I understand what I did...and I am very very aware of just how stupid it was. But thank you for reminding me.
I am now worried about the legal consequences. Can anyone help me with that part?
Sure... you provided pot to a child under your care.

I count 2 felonies and a handful of misdemeanors.

It does not matter where you got it. What matters is that you handed it to a child in your care.

Your question was if you could become licensed. A conviction on any of the counts mentioned would, most likely, stop that process.

CdwJava

The legal consequences will depend on a number of factors, not the least of which is the legal relationship with the minor in question. Returning the marijuana (possession of which is an infraction even for a minor) to the person to whom it belonged may not be an issue. It's hard to say you provided something that belonged to him int he first place. Again, depending on the relationship, there is likely no legal obligation to report the child or even to seize the marijuana. It might be a stretch to say you provided it to him and thus contributed to his delinquency since he was in possession of it to begin with.

If I had to guess the MOST you might face would be termination from your job. If the parents got REALLY pissed you MIGHT face prosecution for misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Maybe.

If your position was through a court assignment or some other legally binding relationship there might be some more serious consequences. Maybe.

cyjeff

Here is the timeline from the OP's post.

The OP is working with a 16 year old.

A sibling to that 16 year old produced pot that the SIBLING said was found in the 16yr old's room.

The OP took the pot from the sibling and handed it to an at risk youth for disposal.

The OP works with the county government.

The OP then lied about what happened when the parents and the supervisor confronted him about the behavior.

OHRoadwarrior

SIGH...

OP, are you and herbologist, a chemist that tested the substance, or trained in the recognition of controlled substances?

cyjeff

SIGH...

OP, are you and herbologist, a chemist that tested the substance, or trained in the recognition of controlled substances?
Are you saying that it is okay to pass along suspected pot to an at risk minor?

Are you saying that unless the OP tested it that there wasn't any wrongdoing?

OHRoadwarrior

I'm trying to politely pass along to OP the only defense he may have to keep himself out of serious legal trouble. I can honestly think of many things worse happening, than a 16 yr old having a little weed. If he purchased it once, he obviously should be able to purchase it again. So the end result was relatively negligible in comparison to death, permanent injury or major catastrophic damage. How many people here had possession of weed when THEY were 16 I wonder. I am not saying I agree with his poor choice, only that I can think of many worse things, with worse outcomes.

cyjeff

I'm trying to politely pass along to OP the only defense he may have to keep himself out of serious legal trouble.
That is not a reasonable defense. The OP believed it to be pot. That is all that is necessary.

I can honestly think of many things worse happening, than a 16 yr old having a little weed.
An at risk child being handed pot by his counselor? What would be worse than that?

If he purchased it once, he obviously should be able to purchase it again. So the end result was relatively negligible in comparison to death, permanent injury or major catastrophic damage.
So you are saying it is the at risk child's fault that his counselor gave him weed?

Further, how does the child's guilt or innocence make any difference to the OP's actions?

How many people here had possession of weed when THEY were 16 I wonder.
I would think that the number of people here that were handed a bag of confiscated pot by their counselor approaches zero.

I am not saying I agree with his poor choice, only that I can think of many worse things, with worse outcomes.
To his career, I cannot think of a worse one.

cyjeff

I'm working with this kid because he has anger issues. He has shown very good improvement recently, as said by the parents. My intent was for him to realize he had made a bad choice in getting it in the first place and for him to not start taking steps backward...I chewed his butt and told him to get rid of it.

The weed (or possibly hashise) was about hte size of my thumbnail.I had a great working relationship with the parents and am certain they wont seek any legal actions against me.
I work for through the county so there are a number of people who have to write a report and cover their butt...that's where I think the jist of my consequences will stem from.

Thanks for the input everyone.
The parents already told your supervisor. Your supervisor isn't covering his butt... he is a mandatory reporter.

I am sure you remember that term. You, after all, signed similar paperwork when you were hired. And should have adhered to it when you were handed an illegal substance.

The legal action has already been sought. And the damage you have done to this child is immense. After all, you did notice that he didn't destroy it right away, right?

After all, if this was appropriate, you wouldn't have lied about it, would you?

CdwJava

Here is the timeline from the OP's post.

The OP is working with a 16 year old.

A sibling to that 16 year old produced pot that the SIBLING said was found in the 16yr old's room.

The OP took the pot from the sibling and handed it to an at risk youth for disposal.

The OP works with the county government.

The OP then lied about what happened when the parents and the supervisor confronted him about the behavior.
Apparently he does not work for the county, his employer is a contractor. There can be a big difference. But, in this situation, it probably makes little difference other than to potentially expose the county to civil liability should the minor have been injured. This does not make him legally responsible for the child to the point where child neglect charges would likely apply. Likewise it does not grant him any legal requirement to seize marijuana or any other contraband. nor to report it.

Sorry, but the most serious criminal charge that leaps to mind is PC 272 - contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and even that might be a stretch.

We keep forgetting that the kid was in possession before the OP was involved. Even a mandatory reporter is not required to report the possession of contraband by a minor.

The OP screwed up and his employer may well be justified in letting him go, but I do not see a crime here ... aside from that I previously mentioned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">