• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Jeep with no doors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have a very simple question: Is it illegal to drive a jeep in Texas without any doors?

The Occultist

I could not find any statute dealing with doors, so I'm gonna go ahead and say you're allowed to drive with no doors. However, I still advise calling your DOT or DMV and asking them.

Thank you! I have had a difficult time as well in finding any substantial answer. However, I did not even think to call the DMV or DOT. Thank you for doing all the thinking for me! :p

My friend, an owner of a Rubicon, and I were at the State Fair of Texas last night in her jeep and as we were paying for parking, an officer approached me and asked me where the doors were. I kind of chuckled and told him I did not know; I supposed they were at the house. He then began telling me that it was illegal to drive without doors and turned around and walked off. I don't ask the question because I completely doubt the word of an officer, it was just his demeanor and the fact that I see jeeps being operated on the roads quite frequently without any doors.

Once again, thank you for the brilliant idea of who to call and ask!

Kristi Love

mwbarton

The doors themselves may not be an issue, but you may find that your mirrors are. If the mirrors are mounted to the body then you shouldn't have a problem, but if they are mounted to the doors then the Jeep should not be driven with the doors removed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">