• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A letter from ssa about computer matching program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Whatever money you have left is going to need to get out of that joint bank account or your daughter will still have access to it and may even be able to control to some extent how you use it.

As far as the capital gain is concerned, what did you originally pay for the house that you sold? You should have gotten a $250,000 capital gains exclusion and considering selling costs on the sale of the original home $88,000 seems a bit high for a capital gain, unless you paid next to nothing for the home originally.

Carlanga

Whatever money you have left is going to need to get out of that joint bank account or your daughter will still have access to it and may even be able to control to some extent how you use it.

As far as the capital gain is concerned, what did you originally pay for the house that you sold? You should have gotten a $250,000 capital gains exclusion and considering selling costs on the sale of the original home $88,000 seems a bit high for a capital gain, unless you paid next to nothing for the home originally.
I own that house for more than 50 years I paid 17.950.00

Carlanga

Do I have to have whatever money is left in my checking account to show ssa how much money is left, because now my daughter is saying that it wasn't a joint account is her personal checking account,because in the second letter from ssa it shows that I have a checking account that is worth $17.00 and that I have $9,999.00 in cash Wich I never told the ssa worker such a thing and I got no access to any paperwork to provide otherwise

Janke

Do I have to have whatever money is left in my checking account to show ssa how much money is left, because now my daughter is saying that it wasn't a joint account is her personal checking account,because in the second letter from ssa it shows that I have a checking account that is worth $17.00 and that I have $9,999.00 in cash Wich I never told the ssa worker such a thing and I got no access to any paperwork to provide otherwise

The simple answer is that, as an SSI recipient, the value of your home and the land it sits on is excluded from the $2000 resource limit for SSI. When it was sold and converted to cash and deposited into a bank account, it became a countable resource. And over the SSI limit. So SSI is stopping. There is no resource limit for SSDI, only SSI. You said you get both. Your daughter or daughters may or may not be acting in your best interest right now; it is difficult to tell. If the daughters are holding your money without your permission, you may need to call Adult Protective Services and let a social worker investigate. It may cause problems with your relationship with your children that cannot be repaired. SSI appears to be stopping because your local office discovered through this computer matching program (with the IRS - SSA eventually finds out whatever the IRS finds out which is pretty much everything)...your local office discovered that you had this massive capital gains 1099 in 2019 under your Social Security number and is assuming that you have too much money to be getting SSI. And the next thing to happen may be an overpayment notice.

So you need someone trustworthy on your side. Possibly an attorney. Is it your money or is it someone else's money and what happened to your money if it is all gone? Are you okay with how your money was spent? That is what SSI is going to want to know. This only affects the SSI portion of your monthly income, not the SSDI portion.

Your notices should give you the name of an employee to contact. Keep track of that name.

Carlanga

The simple answer is that, as an SSI recipient, the value of your home and the land it sits on is excluded from the $2000 resource limit for SSI. When it was sold and converted to cash and deposited into a bank account, it became a countable resource. And over the SSI limit. So SSI is stopping. There is no resource limit for SSDI, only SSI. You said you get both. Your daughter or daughters may or may not be acting in your best interest right now; it is difficult to tell. If the daughters are holding your money without your permission, you may need to call Adult Protective Services and let a social worker investigate. It may cause problems with your relationship with your children that cannot be repaired. SSI appears to be stopping because your local office discovered through this computer matching program (with the IRS - SSA eventually finds out whatever the IRS finds out which is pretty much everything)...your local office discovered that you had this massive capital gains 1099 in 2019 under your Social Security number and is assuming that you have too much money to be getting SSI. And the next thing to happen may be an overpayment notice.

So you need someone trustworthy on your side. Possibly an attorney. Is it your money or is it someone else's money and what happened to your money if it is all gone? Are you okay with how your money was spent? That is what SSI is going to want to know. This only affects the SSI portion of your monthly income, not the SSDI portion.

Your notices should give you the name of an employee to contact. Keep track of that name.
I thank you very much for your reply,it does help to know that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">