• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A lil confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JaTreece

I live in Ca, I was one of 4 beneficiaries on my grandmother life insurance, I was supposed to get 50% and the other 3 were supposed to split the other 50%. When I receive the check, the amount was split 4 ways. How do I get the insurance company to fix this. The policy clearly states I was supposed to receive 50%.

justalayman

Your recourse is to ask them.

How are you so certain you were due a full half of the benefits? The company has a statemebt of beneficiaries on file. That is what determines the payout. It may be different that her original designation which may be what you saw.

JaTreece

Your recourse is to ask them.

How are you so certain you were due a full half of the benefits? The company has a statemebt of beneficiaries on file. That is what determines the payout. It may be different that her original designation which may be what you saw.
The representative at the insurance, told me the amount of the policy, and said I was designated to receive 50% of the policy, and the other 50% was going to be divided by the other 3 beneficiaries. So, that's why I'm confused about the amount that was actually sent.

justalayman

Ok so either the person you spoke to was in error and you weren't scheduled to recieve 50% or whomever ordered the checks written was in error. Either could be wrong; either could be right.

So to start with; relax and back off the claim you know you are supposed to recieve 50%. The rep may simply have been wrong.

You simply call them and ask why the discrepancy. They have a reason for what happened even if the reason is the made a mistake. They will correct it once discovered if you were supposed to get 50%.

But a question; do you believe your grandmother would have left you a greater share for some reason? Was there a reason she might? If not I would suspect the rep you spoke to was more likely in error than the disbursement department.

Dandy Don

Use a search engine to do a search to see what the contact information is for the California Insurance Commissioner or California Department of Insurance and file a complaint with them so they can investigate on your behalf.

justalayman

Use a search engine to do a search to see what the contact information is for the California Insurance Commissioner or California Department of Insurance and file a complaint with them so they can investigate on your behalf.
A bit pre-mature don't ya think? For all we know it will be determined the payments released were in error and op will get the rest he was told was owed.

Before running to the state i would wait to find out what the insurance company ends up doing and if it is the lesser amount asking for a copy of the signed beneficiary designation.

latigo

The representative at the insurance, told me the amount of the policy, and said I was designated to receive 50% of the policy (?) . . . . . .
Please explain how you are privy to the policy owner's designation of beneficiary, or the company's records where those designations are maintained . If there is any mistake here, the odds are that it is yours and not that of the insurer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">