• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A little off the subject but.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjmom

What is the name of your state? Michigan

.....I know some of you fly and have children who fly. I am leaving for New Orleans on Aug 17 and it will be my first time flying. I am so scared! I am terrified of heights! My sister flew for the first time to go on her honeymoon and she said she hated it so much she begged my brother-in-law to rent a car & drive back! I know it is silly, I am a 26 year old woman, and flying with my boyfriend and I am still uneasy about the whole ordeal. You people have children who fly unaccompanied, I feel like such a baby! I am grateful my son isn't going on this trip (he gets a week of being spoiled at grandma's house:) ), he won't have to see what a nervous wreck his mother can become! I am so excited to go to New Orleans, any suggestions?

L

Leona Dennis

you shouldn't feel embarrassed about your fear of flying. i flew alone for the first time when i was 12 - i'm 31 and i'm not to comfortable with the whole flying thing. what i always did was chewed gum (so your ears don't pop on take off and landings), bring something to do (book to read, crossword puzzle - something to keep you occupied) and if you can sit in the isle seat. i always have to sit on the aisle - one becasue i am clostrophobic and the other is so i don't feel like i have to climb over everyone to get out of the aisle. good luck on your flight next week - you have nothing to worry about - your boyfriend will be with you to help you through it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Just remember - - you only crash once, and from what everyone tells me, it's quite painless.

Okay, okay, just kidding.

Ask for a seat over the wings. That's the pivot point, and the place where you won't feel the effects of ascent, decent and turns so much.

During take-off, and into the first 5 minutes while the plane is ascending, you'll feel a "slight" drop, like the whole plane is falling - - but it isn't. For newbies, it's a fearful moment, but just understand that it only lasts for a second.

The take-off is exhilarating, running down the strip getting up to 195 mph in just a matter of a few seconds. It's a trip! It's really unbelievable how such a huge hunk of metal can actually fly, and all of your senses tell you that "this thing" can't possibly get off the ground, but it does. Then, it's up to 550 mph, at about 34,000 feet up. Wow!

Assuming you have a smooth flight, once your plane gets up to altitude, it's like riding on a plate of Jello. But, if your plane hits some turbulence, just hold on slightly to your arm rests. It won't last long, and it's like being in a "bumper car."

Landing is terrific - - those reverse thrusters turn on, slowing that hunk of metal down from an approach speed of about 200 mph in just a very short time, to a crawl on the ground. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the experience.

Think of Amelia Earhart - - if she did it, so can you !

IAAL

Last edited:
C

cjmom

Thanks a lot, IAAL

That's reassuring.........GEEZ!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CMSC

take some dramamine, valium, motion sickness bag and extra change of clothes.

I know how you feel. I took my first plane ride last year, September 20th to be exact and it was to NEW YORK...so if you think your scared think of how this 24 year old felt! And to make it worse, I was in a little company chartered plane that sputtered constantly like it was going to croak on us!

I am sure you will do fine!

p.s. don't eat any M&M's they are not good on the stomach when getting ready to land.

C

cjmom

Thanks, IAAL, the more info the better.

"A slight drop like the whole plane is falling"....hmmm....I can feel my heart race and my stomach jump into my throat!

"Hold on slightly to your arm rest".......I can see my nuckles truning white as all the blood circulation is cut off!

At least now I know what to expect.

kat1963

Then again, at airport bars, buy one shot; get a double shot for an extra buck. Remember all those drunks that lived because of their blood alcohol content………oh, no, that was the Titanic….sorry.

Hey, have fun, enjoy your flight. Chances are, nothing is going to happen. Probably the worst thing would be that your luggage gets lost or the pilot decides instead of a landing strip, it’s actually an aircraft carrier.

KAT

C

cjmom

Dramamine is a definate........No M&M's? Awh, shucks! I LOVE chocolate. Alcohol, I don't know about. I am not a big drinker, just a little does a lot to me and I think it may make things worse!hehe;)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Since we really don't know who you are, and we won't know if your plane has crashed, if that occurs we won't know that you're not coming back to the Forums. So, with that in mind, I'll say "Good-Bye" to you now. It was nice having you here.

IAAL

tammy8

IAAL

I am so glad to know (or hope to know-LOL) that you are so joking on this! You have lightened up the mood and made me smile today!

CJ Pay no mind to him:D :D :D ! Like I said piece of cake and you will be amazed how fun it is to get in a metal box, fly into the air, pludge from the air and be in a totally different city! Have fun! Save some of the peanuts for us when you get back!

C

cjmom

Don't worry all, if we go down my ghost will come back to haunt these forums, for I cannot let go of my obsession even in death:D

I will save each and every last peanut for you tammy8, I cannot stand them! If I had M&M's with nuts in them I would spit them out and save those too (nice of me, huh?) but I was told no M&M's. Sorry;)

tammy8

Thanks CJ!!!!

On an even further out there post, did you see Joe Dirt? The "meteor" being ided by the peanuts is toooo funny!

C

cjmom

No, tammy8, I don't think I have.......it sounds familar but I don't remember seeing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">