• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A long long time ago.........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



NY Back in 1983 my father passed away and left a will indicating that all the children split the estate. At the time I was living on the west coast and disabled so I couldn't afford the expenses to attend the funeral. I was told by my other brothers and sisters that our father left nothing but the money from his union. We all got the union money and I thought no more of it. After not seeing my uncle for 15 years about 5 years ago my uncle, who was executor of the estate, thanked me for not taking a share in my fathers will. (my father adopted me when he married my mother then they had 4 more kids together) This confused me and after asking my brother about the money father had to have left over when he sold his house and moved into an apartment. He said "Oh, we all thought the same thing but never found any bank accounts with any money from the house sale." I believed this up till now. My mother has just passed away and this came back to me again. I said to myself "How could anybody just say Oh we looked a little here and there but we couldn't find 1/2 a million dollars anywhere so we just blew it off." My answer to myself "Nobody in there right mind is going to blow off that kind of money so it looks more and more that they ripped me off by signing my name to whatever paper work was needed. What are my options if it isn't to late? My mothers estate is ready to get spilt up. Can I stall this because of my fathers estate? Thanks up front, Hoodood.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Have you looked at your father's probate file to find out EXACTLY what his estate was worth and how it was distributed? The 2 estates have no connection. If you can prove you were denied monies, all you can do is to sue the executor to recover that money, but it has no relationship now to your mother's estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential