• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A lost Cashier's Check.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri. I paid a moving company with a Cashier's Check to get my belongings unloaded. After delivery I got a call from the driver's wife stating that she sent the check to Allied through Fed Ex and the check got lost.

Am I responsible to resend this money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Missouri. I paid a moving company with a Cashier's Check to get my belongings unloaded. After delivery I got a call from the driver's wife stating that she sent the check to Allied through Fed Ex and the check got lost.

Probably not - their recourse is with FedEx. You can (should, in my opinion) offer to attempt place a stop payment and a reissue of the original cashier's check. You can make the offer contingent upon the driver compensating you for the expenses incurred in doing so.

thank you for your response. I figured that this was a good deed opportunity. I asked her to pay me $20 + bank fee of $30; however, since the process is taking more time and effort than I figured, I decided I want $50. I suppose that is not a bad thing; since I am not responsible to send them any money.

Just Blue

Did you call the bank to check if it was cashed?

LdiJ

You are the only one who can put a stop payment on the original cashier's check, and get a replacement check. So yes, its your responsibility, but NOT until you are certain that the original cashier's check is truly lost.

LdiJ

I did have another thought pop into my head. Is this one of those occasions where they gave you an amount and collected from you up front and then demanded extra money to unload your belongings? If so, what excuse did they give you for needing extra payment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">