• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A member made website?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

claymore

What is the name of your state? I am in the UK, Site server resides in canada.

I am part of a site called the web cadet Corps, basically we have 100 odd members who all help in some way to run it, recently we have had an ex member say that he wants all the pages he wrote removed from the site as under international copyright laws they belong to him.

1, is this true, or is the material ours as he was working on our behalf? (volunteers, not paid)
2, is there anyway that we can make all material created for us property of the site itself and not individual members?

thanks for the help.

If you need to look at what the site is about it's http://www.webcadets.org

racer72

Is England part of the UK or is the UK part of England. I have England listed as the 52nd US state, I was wondering how I should actuall list it.

The new US states as supplied by the visitors of the Free Advice Forums:

51. Canada
52. England or U.K.?
53. Germany
54. Venezuela
55. Australia
56. Scotland
57. Hong Kong

Last edited:
C

claymore

lol, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern ireland are all apart of the UK, and all come under the leadership of Mr Blair.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Then read the red words at the top of this page.

Then you'll understand that The United Kingdom is NOT a part of The United "States".

IAAL

C

claymore

Isn't copyright law on the internet international though, i.e. the same everywhere now?

divgradcurl

"Isn't copyright law on the internet international though, i.e. the same everywhere now?"

No.

Countries that have signed on to the Berne convention agree to recognize copyrights from other signatory countries, and agree to treat foreign works at least as well as domestic works under their own domestic copyright laws, but that's pretty much it. Beyond that, each country has their own laws and enforcement procedures. Some laws may end up being identical (or very similar) from country to country, but that's a coincidence, not the rule.

And this doesn't even begin to touch the jurisdictional issues...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">