• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A place to crash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhoAsked

I am staying with a friend for just over a month and would like to create a contract. Is there a way I would be able to create a legally binding document for the both of our interest to be protected? I am agreeing to pay $200 before the day I leave would like to be safe from being asked for more money. I would also like for my friend to be assured that I will legally have to pay her the money. The contract is for me staying there from November 26th to December 31st.

I am in Nc.

quincy

I am staying with a friend for just over a month and would like to create a contract. Is there a way I would be able to create a legally binding document for the both of our interest to be protected? I am agreeing to pay $200 before the day I leave would like to be safe from being asked for more money. I would also like for my friend to be assured that I will legally have to pay her the money. The contract is for me staying there from November 26th to December 31st.

I am in Nc.
Two people can come to an agreement, and write up the terms of this agreement, and sign and date this agreement, and it can be legally binding on the parties.

Gail in Georgia

What you are looking for is really a month lease. If all this covers are the dates you are staying and the amount you BOTH agree you will pay there is nothing that says you cannot simply write this up and you both sign the agreement, make copies for each, you pay the $200 when you get there and it should be a done deal.

I'm not reading you plan on paying the $200 "before the day I leave", correct? If so, that person would be a fool to accept this.

Gail

WhoAsked

Would the agreement be considered fair if $100 is paid upon arrival and the other $100 be before the day I leave?

quincy

Would the agreement be considered fair if $100 is paid upon arrival and the other $100 be before the day I leave?
It will be up to you and the other party how to word your agreement. I would make your agreement VERY specific so that there can be no misunderstanding later as to what you have agreed to. Any vagueness or ambiguity can work against you both if there later is a dispute.

quincy

Fair is in the eye of the beholder. If the two of you agree then it's fair, if you don't agree, it isn't.
Well ... a proposed agreement could still be “fair” if one of the parties does not agree to the terms. It just wouldn’t be an agreement that makes it past the “proposed” stage. ;)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well ... a proposed agreement could still be “fair” if one of the parties does not agree to the terms. It just wouldn’t be an agreement that makes it past the “proposed” stage. ;)
Fair as determined by whom? There is, after all, no objective measure of what is fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">