• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about independent contractors and clause on tax forms...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

bjohnson should act based on the laws of Canada after a consultation with a legal and tax professional in Canada. The specific facts of his venture and his use of foreign workers should be personally reviewed.

eerelations

I have a goodly number of Independent contractor clients who are NOT paid with 1099s out of Canada or with US bank accounts. ; They are however paid in Canadian US dollar accounts. I agree that they would have to establish a presence in the US to have employees.
I never said the ICs need to be paid out of US accounts, just in US dollars. Of course those US dollars can be paid out of a Canadian bank account.

eerelations

bjohnson should act based on the laws of Canada after a consultation with a legal and tax professional in Canada. The specific facts of his venture and his use of foreign workers should be personally reviewed.
If they're living and working in the US, those "foreign workers" would be subject to US tax and employment laws, not Canadian.

quincy

If they're living and working in the US, those "foreign workers" would be subject to US tax and employment laws, not Canadian.
I understand. Thanks. But that is assuming these are all independent contractors doing no work in Canada.

I agreed with your earlier post that whether the workers are employees or independent contractors needs to be determined.

I think that advising a Canadian poster (or one from the U.K. or Australia or Vietnam or wherever) is outside the scope of this forum. This is despite my knowing of your particular knowledge of Canadian employment law.

But I accept that I may be alone in thinking this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">