• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A question about the Windows Eula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtjumper

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In the Windows 10 Eula it says (in 2.c.vii)" when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner. "
Does this mean that if I discover a friend illegally downloaded files from a pirate site onto my computer, that the terms have been broken?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

In the Windows 10 Eula it says (in 2.c.vii)" when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner. "
Does this mean that if I discover a friend illegally downloaded files from a pirate site onto my computer, that the terms have been broken?
Sorry, but contract review is beyond the scope of this forum. You should discuss your questions with a local attorney.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Don't let "friends" use YOUR computer or Internet connection. Let them get their own and take their own risks instead of getting you involved in their nonsense.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Microsoft is going to bust you bigtime. I would suggest opening a command prompt and typing C:\>format c:. It's the only way to keep Microsoft away.:unsure:

quincy

If you have pirated files on your computer, Microsoft is not your only (or biggest) worry.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

As a starting point the friend would have had to use a Windows "internet-based feature" to do the download. Did the friend do that, or was the download accomplished with software other than Windows? Second, was it Microsoft files (or the files of some company affiliated with Microsoft) that were pirated? If they were not Microsoft related files then Microsoft may not end up caring much about it even if some violation of the EULA was technically made by your friend.

If you have pirated files on your computer, Microsoft is not your only (or biggest) worry.
Right. The person/entity whose files were pirated is the one that will be ticked off about it, and the one most likely to pursue you and/or your friend over it.

quincy

interesting Px Hx.
Yikes.

jtjumper's numerous questions to this forum certainly are interesting.

I see with this thread that he is still struggling with understanding the wording of EULAs and other terms and conditions of use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">