• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Question of Ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobInDaHood

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My basic question is this... Is an attorney bound to the code of ethics in business dealings outside of his legal practice?

Here is my issue... A few months ago I did some computer consulting work for a coffee shop that was owned by an attorney. The attorney has since sold the business (along with some of my equipment) and is refusing to pay me. He is "claiming" that the business was setup as an LLC and it no longer exists. I have called the office of the Georgia Secretary of State and they tell me that an LLC under that name has never been established in Georgia. It is definitely dishonest, but is this an ethics violation? Might I have a case against him personally?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

seniorjudge

Q: It is definitely dishonest, but is this an ethics violation?

A: No.

Q: Might I have a case against him personally?

A: Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">