• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formerlsa

What is the name of your state? MA

Hello, Just wondering if someone knew the answer to this question. If someone is receiving an annuity because of total disabilty, not through SS, but the funds come from the US Treasury, CAN a creditor or say a past judgement garnish that persons bank account? There is usually not much in there maybe a few hundred bucks. I thought there was a law about being disabled or something. Should I tell this person to inform his bank that no one other than the IRS or Child Support can attach his disabilty pay? It goes into his bank account once a month.

Also, this person has had some bad luck due to being undiagnosed in the past few years. He is trying to get his life back together. If it is true that a creditor cannot attach disabilty checks than he should NOT declare bankrupt? CORRECT? In my eyes, and I might be wrong, how can they get blood from a stone? He has no assets.He is also prevented from performing any work at all in the future.

Thanks in advance

formerlsa

the law?

MA

Can companies garnish your bank account if your only income is through disability and should you inform your bank about this? I want to tell this person before he loses his couple of hundred bucks..........Thanks........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">