• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned by mom@18 mo., now 16

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I have a relative who obtained custody of his daughter when she was 18 months. This came about because, her mother abandoned her, to satisfy her boyfriends unacceptance of the child. The boyfriend is now her husband.
The child is now 16. Her mother has only sent one payment of support since she left her. She filed for and was granted visitation.
The orders were unknown to the child's father. He allowed her to visit her maternal grandfather, (her mother's dad) for two days a few weeks ago. The grandfather asked if it would be okay if he could take the child to meet her mother. He told me he let her go to get closure, and answers.
The grandfather called and requested another visit.
(it was allowed)
During this visit the child's mother picked her up unknown to the child's father. When the child didn't return at the appointed time he of course went to the child's grandfather's home.
The police were called, I think cause he was furious, and informed him of the mother's visitation order. There was never any agreement of weekends of course cause he didn't know she'd filed for any. Up until recently she hadn't made any attempt to have the child in her life.
Also, when she was a baby, we suspected her mother's boyfriend was physically abusing her. She had bruises and scratches. I took pictures for my relative but I'm not sure if he still has them. What, if any, are his options? Or is there any legal advice, anything that can help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.


Senior Member
Dad should check with the court to verify the orders and any modification.
No advice can be given without the facts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential