• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RegPlus

I bought the house on August of this year and
I purchased the home insurance in that same month as well.

I came by the house, to try to fix it up.. painting and cleaning out the house.
My house vandalized while I was at the house... making it unlivable. So I can't stay there.

The Insurance company asked me if the house was abandoned before I bought the house.

I told them to ask the seller (bank) if the house was abandoned before I bought the house.
Because I don't know the history of this house.

Is the house considered abandoned after I bought the house or before I bought it?
Should the Insurance company pay the claim?
Or are they looking for ways to avoid paying the claim?

RegPlus

How was it vandalized and what does your policy say?
They threw paint and dirt everywhere inside the house... ceiling, carpet, hardwood floor, sink, cabinet, wall, tub, toliet, windows...
etc.

I asked the contractor if he can clean that up, he rolled his eyes and left.... didn't contact me afterward.

Check your policy, but from my limited knowledge of house insurance claims I personally would not make a claim as it will increase your premiums and they will never go down. Change the locks and grab a mop and bucket.

adjusterjack

RegPlus, where are you located?

If you are in the US, what state.

Insurance people in the US typically refer to vacant, not abandoned.

RegPlus

Check your policy, but from my limited knowledge of house insurance claims I personally would not make a claim as it will increase your premiums and they will never go down. Change the locks and grab a mop and bucket.

Okay. Too late, I already did. mop and bucket won't clean up the paint everywhere.

justalayman

What matters is whether you told your insurance provider whether the home would be empty or occupied. Did you tell them it would be occupied? If so you have a problem.

RegPlus

What matters is whether you told your insurance provider whether the home would be empty or occupied. Did you tell them it would be occupied? If so you have a problem.
It said right here on the policy...

"Vandalism and malicious mischief if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 30 consecutive days immediately before the loss. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant."

It didn't say abandoned or living in it.

LdiJ

It said right here on the policy...

"Vandalism and malicious mischief if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 30 consecutive days immediately before the loss. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant."

It didn't say abandoned or living in it.
Since you bought it in August and have not lived in it yet, it has definitely been vacant for more than 30 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">