• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned possesions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Vermont, Tenant was given eviction notices that led all the way to court order. Court gave them until May 5th to answer summons. No response. Tenant has removed 95% of belongings. I am certain what is left is stuff they do not want from the looks of it. But can I consider them abandoned? if not how long must I wait?

Gail in Georgia

Have the utilities been shut off by the tenants? Have you looked to see if they left the keys behind (these are sometimes left on the kitchen counter)?

Gail

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Vermont, Tenant was given eviction notices that led all the way to court order. Court gave them until May 5th to answer summons. No response. Tenant has removed 95% of belongings. I am certain what is left is stuff they do not want from the looks of it. But can I consider them abandoned? if not how long must I wait?
You have to give 60 days written notice per VT Statute 9-4462:

http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/09/137/04462

Last edited:

steffb503

You have to give 60 days written notice per VT Statute 9-4462:

http://legislature.vermont.gov/statutes/section/09/137/04462
as stated in the OP they have been given proper notices and we are up getting a court date.
My question was about stuff they left behiond

FarmerJ

Have you taken a lot of photos of the things they did leave behind even if the things are obviously junk like say a torn up chair, broken shelf , etc ? ( so you have a record of what they left behind ?)

adjusterjack

as stated in the OP they have been given proper notices and we are up getting a court date.
My question was about stuff they left behiond
That link was to the section of the statute that specifically addressed the stuff they left behind.

You have to follow that procedure regardless of anything else going on.

Try reading it this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">