• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoning contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnbreder1

OK, so here's my story. In the summer of 2009, I signed up for the Army reserves. As I was in graduate school, I signed up to do split training (I only had one more year left in graduate school, so I didn't want to risk being deployed when I was in school). Anyway, I signed up for a 6 year contract, and then I went off to basic training. Everything went fine there, and I graduated from basic training. However, after leaving basic training, I was given a packet and told to report to my unit in San Diego. Instead of showing up, though, I simply didn't. Initially, the unit tried calling a few times to touch base with me, but I didn't answer my phone. After a year, I moved from San Diego back to my home state in NJ. Still, for a few months, the calls kept coming. After a while, they stopped and life just progressed as normal.

I guess my question is this. Am I in any type of trouble in the foreseeable future? I know what I did was stupid and terrible, but I'm just curious. Also, while I know I don't deserve this, I'm just curious if there is any possibility of reenlisting myself, or is this a giant red mark on my folder. I suppose I can't ever get a security clearance with this either. Anyway, I just want to know what ramifications I have imposed on myself. It's almost been 6 years (the length of my contract), so I'm curious.

Thanks for any advice.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
OK, so here's my story. In the summer of 2009, I signed up for the Army reserves. As I was in graduate school, I signed up to do split training (I only had one more year left in graduate school, so I didn't want to risk being deployed when I was in school). Anyway, I signed up for a 6 year contract, and then I went off to basic training. Everything went fine there, and I graduated from basic training. However, after leaving basic training, I was given a packet and told to report to my unit in San Diego. Instead of showing up, though, I simply didn't. Initially, the unit tried calling a few times to touch base with me, but I didn't answer my phone. After a year, I moved from San Diego back to my home state in NJ. Still, for a few months, the calls kept coming. After a while, they stopped and life just progressed as normal.

I guess my question is this. Am I in any type of trouble in the foreseeable future? I know what I did was stupid and terrible, but I'm just curious. Also, while I know I don't deserve this, I'm just curious if there is any possibility of reenlisting myself, or is this a giant red mark on my folder. I suppose I can't ever get a security clearance with this either. Anyway, I just want to know what ramifications I have imposed on myself. It's almost been 6 years (the length of my contract), so I'm curious.

Thanks for any advice.
Most likely scenario is that you'll be discharged under "other than honorable conditions." That would keep you out of jobs requiring security clearances, federal jobs, and I believe law enforcement jobs. Check out Ch 5 of Army Reg 630-10

johnbreder1

Thank you for the response. Is there any way that I can find out what my discharge says? Is there a way to request this? A few years back, I sent away for my military record, and they basically sent me the packet I received when I finished basic training. There wasn't a discharge paper in the papers. Do I have to wait until my contract officially ends for a discharge notice? Thanks again!

johnbreder1

Ok, assuming I am considered AWOL, how am I to know this? Is there a way without going to the unit and presenting myself? Moreover, if I am considered AWOL, what are the ramifications?

johnbreder1

Great article. Thank you for that. I guess my next question is, what is the definition of Initial Active Duty Training. According to the article, if I did not complete that, I can only be discharged for "entry level performance and conduct." Did I do Initial Active Duty Training since I didn't attend AIT and only did Basic training. Again, thank you for your responses, all have been helpful.

johnbreder1

Thank you for your input, but that doesn't seem very useful. I'm on a forum for legal advice because I'm seeking the best outcome for myself. If resurfacing this is just going to cause issues, I'd rather avoid it. I'm just actually curious about what has occurred. It's been nearly 6 years, and I just want to know for myself. I've also read that I might have an uncharacterized discharge as I left during Entry level status. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

Again, I welcome all advice as I'm really in the dark. I know I did something that most people frown upon. I feel bad about that. Now, I just want to know where I stand from a legal point. Thank you for any advice on this front.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your input, but that doesn't seem very useful. I'm on a forum for legal advice because I'm seeking the best outcome for myself. If resurfacing this is just going to cause issues, I'd rather avoid it. I'm just actually curious about what has occurred. It's been nearly 6 years, and I just want to know for myself. I've also read that I might have an uncharacterized discharge as I left during Entry level status. Not sure if that's relevant or not.

Again, I welcome all advice as I'm really in the dark. I know I did something that most people frown upon. I feel bad about that. Now, I just want to know where I stand from a legal point. Thank you for any advice on this front.
Ignoring it is not going to produce a "best outcome."

SHORTY LONG

Thanks for any advice.
You seek advice and the best outcome for yourself and you have received it! From my knowledge i would advise you first to recognize that you are accountable for your own actions; and accountability is timeless! If indeed you are educated as you say you are, then go-forth with whatever documents you have to the nearest Recruiter's office of the Military branch that, you by freewill, chose for yourself! And if you are to scared to do this, then call them up and ask for a senior Recruiting Officer and convey too him or her what you are conveying here in our Forum.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Check out AR 135–91, 4-17 and AR 630–10. Those should address your concerns . Also, read through the "stickied" thread in this forum. It will provide some resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">