• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment and separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SouthernMan3672

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Is it considered abandonment if I stop paying for house and bill but still pay child support? My wife and I separated over a month ago but I still paying mortgage on a house I am not living in. Both of our names are on the house and we have a joint account together. She says if I take the money out from our joint account for the bill, she will get me for abandonment, but I left the house voluntary after she asked me to leave.

xylene

You have a child support order?

You really need to discuss this with your own divorce attorney.

HRZ

I think your wife is inventing rules that don't exist and that you would be far smarter to get competent counsel darn soon.

BTW the first person to clean out a joint account can do so, use some street smarts.
And I would NOT leave my own house absent clear advice from my attorney to do so.

HRZ

PLUS, technically if both are on mortgage there is a joint and separate liability to pay the whole as agreed. For all we know the wife may out earn the husband or have greater assets ?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You do realize, of course, that you lost much control wrt custody negotiations by moving out, yes?

The bank holds both of you responsible for the mortgage. The court may not view you kindly if you take actions that will affect your stbx wife's credit.

You really need to speak with an attorney.

HRZ

Absent a court order to vacate, you might be smart to just be back in ! Discuss it with counsel darn soon.

LdiJ

Exactly.

I don't get this, ever, people getting divorced still thinking patterns around placating their spouse's wishes.
I have seen it happen over and over again. The less dominant party still seems to be intimidated by the more dominant party, even when they do not realize that they are intimidated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">