• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

We are trying to adopt a grandson. My daughter wants to give her consent but she saw a psychiatrist when she was a teenager. The adoption worker says she has to have a competancy evaluation. This will cost a bunch. We want to go the abandonment route but I think the worker said we would have to have a lawyer to do this b/c he has to use some legal numbers b/c of the compentancy thing? I think she is making it very hard for us. I have been told by a paralegal that she tends to make up her own rules. We have raised this boy for 10 years and just adopted our daughters 2 year old through a CPS process. Any comment or suggestion on the abandonment or needing to get a lawyer? A paralegal says she can file abandonment forms and let the judge decide but I don't want to spend money and then the psych thing come up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential