• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

about inhereting property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drummerene

I am in Texas and I'd like to know what documents I need in order to become the benficiary of my parents etstate for things like a house and car and what is the process of going about this? I take it I would have to speak to a lawayer and which one?
One of the documents I have says Assumption warranty deed with vendors lein. Is this the same thing as a deed to the house and one of the documents I need or which should I be looking for? This specific document has my dads name listed with a different middle intial than his birth record. Would there be any issue obtaining the house if I didn't get this corrected?

Also it's the same thing for some of the documents for the car under their name. They spelled my dads middle name wrong by adding an extra letter. Would it be an issue and if so how would I get the issue corrected?

If your parents want you to be the beneficiary of their estate, they should contact a lawyer. There is nothing for you to do.

Ultimately, how your parents distribute their estate is entirely up to them. It’s their right to decide how their assets will be allocated, and these decisions will be based on their wishes and considerations.

zddoodah

I am in Texas and I'd like to know what documents I need in order to become the benficiary of my parents etstate for things like a house and car and what is the process of going about this?
This is an awfully odd way to word this. If your parents want to leave you something after they die, they will need to engage in estate planning. That typically involves making wills (one for each of them) and/or a trust (there can be a single trust for both of them). There are other options for their home.

I take it I would have to speak to a lawayer and which one?
Your parents should consult with an estate planning attorney.

One of the documents I have says Assumption warranty deed with vendors lein. Is this the same thing as a deed to the house and one of the documents I need or which should I be looking for?
I mean...yes, an "assumption warranty deed" is the same thing as a "deed." An assumption warranty deed is used when the new owner also assumes liability for the existing mortgage. If your parents wanted to give you their home while they're alive, that's a deed that they could use (although I assume the mortgage holder would also have to consent). It's probably not what should be used to transfer title after they both die.

This specific document has my dads name listed with a different middle intial than his birth record. Would there be any issue obtaining the house if I didn't get this corrected?
I don't know. Do you mean this assumption warranty deed is the deed that was used when your parents acquired title?

Also it's the same thing for some of the documents for the car under their name. They spelled my dads middle name wrong by adding an extra letter.
Who are "they"?

Would it be an issue and if so how would I get the issue corrected?
I have to ask why you think these are things about which you're concerned. Are you anticipating that one or both your parents will be dying soon? If not, then these are things for them to take care of and have nothing to do with you.

drummerene

"I don't know. Do you mean this assumption warranty deed is the deed that was used when your parents acquired title?"

I'm not sure. I'd have to ask them but if they don't know would you have an idea or would a lawyer? But if you are saying all I need is a Will and a Trust than why should I be worried about these other dcouments? They might not know since it might have been some time since they did any paperwork...

"I mean...yes, an "assumption warranty deed" is the same thing as a "deed." An assumption warranty deed is used when the new owner also assumes liability for the existing mortgage. If your parents wanted to give you their home while they're alive, that's a deed that they could use (although I assume the mortgage holder would also have to consent). It's probably not what should be used to transfer title after they both die."

Well what would be used to transfer title?

Who are "they"

Just my dad. Do you have an answer about the whole mispelling of middle and first names different from his birth record by the way and if it would be an issue acquiring property because of it? I can't find an answer for this and my parents don't know they said.

Last edited:

zddoodah

Please don't add your responses to the quote blocks. It makes it really hard to follow what's being quoted and what your response is.

I'm not sure. I'd have to ask them but if they don't know would you have an idea or would a lawyer?
I certainly don't know. I'm asking questions to clarify the facts. I understand that you might not know all of the relevant facts, but you said you have a copy of the deed in question.

But if you are saying all I need is a Will and a Trust...
I didn't say or imply any such thing.

...than why should I be worried about these other dcouments?
I have no opinion about whether you should or shouldn't worry about anything.

Well what would be used to transfer title?
Any deed can be used to transfer title. Determining the appropriate deed that ought to be used at some hypothetical time in the future based on an unknown set of facts is impossible.

Do you have an answer about the whole mispelling of middle and first names different from his birth record by the way and if it would be an issue acquiring property because of it?
I don't, because you're asking questions based on vagueness upon vagueness.

Now...would you care to address the other questions I asked? If not, all I can tell you, again, is that, if your parents are concerned about this, they should consult with an estate planning attorney (and you are, of course, free to urge that they do so).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">