• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About to be sued over credit card debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mamie_I23

What is the name of your state? Texas
My daughter is 48 years old. She has had 2 brain surgeries last year because of hydrocyphalus, is diabetic, bi-polar, and has high blood pressure. She has had to move in with us (her parents) because she is unable to care for herself. She has a medical disability and is receiving social security as her only means of support.
She ran up some credit card debt before she got disabled and is now unable to pay the debts off. They are threatening to sue her for the debts, and have run up alot of interest charges for non-payment. She owes twice as much to them as she originally charged.
I am afraid that they can garnish her social security check which is deposited into the bank automatically each month for her.
Any help will be appreciated as I am unsure what steps to take.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mamie_I23 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
My daughter is 48 years old. She has had 2 brain surgeries last year because of hydrocyphalus, is diabetic, bi-polar, and has high blood pressure. She has had to move in with us (her parents) because she is unable to care for herself. She has a medical disability and is receiving social security as her only means of support.
She ran up some credit card debt before she got disabled and is now unable to pay the debts off. They are threatening to sue her for the debts, and have run up alot of interest charges for non-payment. She owes twice as much to them as she originally charged.
I am afraid that they can garnish her social security check which is deposited into the bank automatically each month for her.
Any help will be appreciated as I am unsure what steps to take.

My response:

Why can't you financially assist her? You pay the debt (take out a loan), and then she can pay you back from her monthly checks. Since she's living with you, she certainly doesn't need every penny, right?

They couldn't get a Writ against her SSD check if they wanted to - - unless she has $3,000 or more in her account.

IAAL

JETX

And hey, I have a great idea!!
How about she sells some of the stuff she bought with the creditors money.... then use the proceeds of the sale to at least pay SOMETHING on the debts???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
And hey, I have a great idea!!
How about she sells some of the stuff she bought with the creditors money.... then use the proceeds of the sale to at least pay SOMETHING on the debts???

My response:

What?

. . . and give up that big screen t.v. that the family loves? It's a novel idea, JetX, but certainly you're kidding.

IAAL

Ladynred

I suppose you two moral dictators think Bipolarism is a joke ?? Or maybe you think hydrocephaly is just a headache ???? :eek:

Geez.. the woman has a serious ILLNESS ! People who are bi-polar have NO RATIONAL CONTROL when they're in the middle of a 'high' and when they're 'low' it can be serious depression and suicidal. Why are you always assuming that someone has gone out and bought a big screen tv and other extravagant toys ??

If the daughter is 48 -- how old do you think her parents are ?? What makes you think THEY can afford to pay HER debts FOR her ? They're not liable for her debts ! How do you know that THEY aren't on a fixed income too ???

Geeeezzz...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ladynred

Why are you always assuming that someone has gone out and bought a big screen tv and other extravagant toys ??

MY RESPONSE: Because, in most cases, it's true.

If the daughter is 48 -- how old do you think her parents are ?? What makes you think THEY can afford to pay HER debts FOR her ? They're not liable for her debts ! How do you know that THEY aren't on a fixed income too ???

MY RESPONSE: Then SELL some of the items, just like JetX suggested. Remember, our writer said she amassed this debt PRIOR to illness. That means it's not medical related debt. That means, there's some "hardware" around that can be sold!

But, God forbid we should ever sell anything that hasn't been paid, right?

The daughter's current medical problems are a smoke and mirror. The parents STILL have control of the daughter's "stuff", and can at least make an effort to sell some items to pay down the debt. "Geez" yourself. Stop being so god-damned ultra liberal for once in your debt-riddled life.

It's called a garage sale.

IAAL

Ladynred

Got news for you, Counselor, bi-polarism doesn't come on suddenly.

As for the alleged 'hardware' , YOU"RE making that assumption. It could very well be there isn't any - you have no more idea what she bought than I do. And here I thought lawyers dealt with FACTS ! :confused:

Stop being so god-damned ultra liberal for once in your debt-riddled life.
And you should stop being so god-damned judgmental and rude.

M

Mad_Gerbil

I know of several people who've run debt on credit card up into the tens of thousands of dollars and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Money gets spend on cloths (worn out), eating out, groceries, gas, and other expendables. They have a $20,000 debt and couldn't make $30 off a garage sale if they sold everything they owned. Even if you blow $2,500.00 on a computer system or TV today, in 2 years you won't get $500 for it on a bet.

Ya'll could help this person --- or just be a smart ass.

Each according to his ability, I'm sure.

K

krispenstpeter

And I guess you CAN?

Then please help her. Because you have no idea of the issues involved.

Now, go back to your cage. There's a running wheel with your name on it. :rolleyes:

K

krispenstpeter

My response:

Touche'.

Let's just have hot and heavy sex
I Love it when we have a revival of an old classic. I just hope this version of "Lady and the Tramp" is all it's cracked up to be. :D

L

Lorelei

What I am wondering is if the debt she accquired was for her medical needs? Did she just start receiving disability after her 2nd surgery? I'm not too familiar yet with all the laws in Texas, but if her debt was for her medical needs with the high blood pressure and diabetes, and she is on some form of medical aide they may pay for some of the bill. You will have to look into it to be certain as to what they cover and how far back they will go on the coverage. I know Medicaid goes back about 3 months unless that has changed.
It is just a suggestion that you might want to look into. *Smiles* Hope it all works out for you and your family.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lorelei said:
What I am wondering is if the debt she accquired was for her medical needs? Did she just start receiving disability after her 2nd surgery? I'm not too familiar yet with all the laws in Texas, but if her debt was for her medical needs with the high blood pressure and diabetes, and she is on some form of medical aide they may pay for some of the bill. You will have to look into it to be certain as to what they cover and how far back they will go on the coverage. I know Medicaid goes back about 3 months unless that has changed.
It is just a suggestion that you might want to look into. *Smiles* Hope it all works out for you and your family.

My response:

Is the English language foreign to you? Do you know how to read?

Our original writer has already stated, "She ran up some credit card debt before she got disabled . . ."

IAAL

L

Lorelei

No the english language is not foreign to me. I have read what she has posted. Now you can be diabetic, have high blood pressure and bi-polar and not declared disabled with any of those. Have you missed the part about her daughter having 2 brain surgeries? Perhaps she was declared disabled at that point?
Must everyone tear apart others for simply trying to help another person in need?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">