• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

absconding with children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? tx

My wife has decided that she is unhappy in our relationship. So she took my 3 year old son and snuck away. She will not tell me where they are hiding out. She says she will let him visit, if I agree to give him back. My question is - What right does she have to remove my son from his home without my permission and what can I/should I do about it? I am hoping to reconcile this thing without a divorce - which I will fight if it comes to that. She is a great Mom, that is not the issue at all. I just want my son at home, until decisions are made. Do I have any recourse besides a custody battle/court involvement?


Senior Member
Get to court NOW and file an for an emergancy custody order. Get an attorney. Your future relationship with your child is at stake here.

Her interest in having or not having a relationship with you has NOTHING to do with your right to continue to be a father to your child.
Last edited:


Senior Member
Yes, for all you know she's filing for divorce, custody and support right now. Believe me, you wouldn't be the first this has happened to even this week.

An excellent website for fathers: www.deltabravo.net


sorry to hear it, my friend had the same thing happen last year. the attorney charged her with kidnapping, considering she took their chilren while he was gone at work. i would file like stated earlier, here in wisc., they make you go to marriage counsoling before anything can happen in court. it might help you out.


She has just as much right to take the child and run as you do... Most states do not do much about it because the child is with a parent. If she left the state that might be different but the child is still under the care of a parent. The reality of it sucks and you must do everything possible to protect yourself and this child. She cannot blackmail you into returning the child after visitations anymore than you can force her to return the child. You are in a pickle and the answers are unsavory actions on your part. If she snuck away do you really think she will walk back?
Get to an attorney locally and get the needed answers before you lose your child in the mean time. She could decide to move to Alaska tomorrow and if you do not get the courts involved NOW there is not much you can do but move as well.

Good luck and you may have to be as nasty as she is to get her back but you do everything you legally can to salvage the relationship of you and your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential