• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

absolute youngest age without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jturner

What is the name of your state? MS

I was wondering what the absolute youngest age for someone to get married in the state of Mississippi without parental consent is. A friend of mine thinks he's ready. -Jeremy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I love this question!

Normally in Mississippi, the youngest age is 17. However, the "absolute youngest age" is 12, or 8, depending upon whether or not the person lives in a trailer in the back hill country and, instead of going to school, they would rather "slap that Mississippi mud" while playing the banjo, and drinking "shine."

What a damn, dumb, question. I love these people who come here who are obviously missing a chromosome.

IAAL

M

MindyT

Hey, he sounds like a kid

IAAL, not jumping you or anything, but the guy who wrote the question appears to be a kid. Go easy on him...he'll wise up as he gets older (maybe.....):D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Hey, he sounds like a kid

MindyT said:
IAAL, not jumping you or anything, but the guy who wrote the question appears to be a kid. Go easy on him...he'll wise up as he gets older (maybe.....):D

My response:

Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry.

After rereading the post, I determined it's actually quite a smart, well thought, intelligent question . . .

. . . from someone in Mississippi !

IAAL

P.S. And people wonder why Mississippi has the stereotype that it has - - it's asinine people like our writer and his friends that cause it !

Last edited:

JETX

Mississippi Code, Title 93, Chapter 1:
Under 21: Parental consent is needed if under 21 years of age. If parents or guardians do not give consent at time of application, they will be notified via certified mail. The marriage application will be held for three (3) days. Marriage licenses cannot be issued to males under 17, or females under 15 years of age. If the clerk receives a signed authorization from the parents, this minimum age requirement can be waived.
Source: http://marriage.about.com/library/bllms.htm

The above applies in Mississippi with the exception that parental permission is NOT required for the following:
First cousins: 12 years old
Second cousins: 14 years old
Third cousins: 15 years old (if 2nd marriage)
Sibling: 25 years old

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

That's funny, Steve!

. . . at least to the rest of us. Unfortunately, the second portion of your post probably has more truth to it than we realize.

Someone's submarine is definitely sinking in the Mississippi gene pool . . .

IAAL

M

MindyT

Got it

OK, IAAL, I get it. So I wonder if now, going by the given advice, the other kid will end up getting married?? And to which cousin.....just kidding, I have no idea how it is in Mississippi, since I've never been there, but I guess you know a bit about people there, huh? Thanks for the giggle.;)

J

jturner

I appreciate the actual advice. I'm just trying to stop my friend from making a BIG mistake not to get criticized. I am 25 years old and of age to do what I want. Not everyone marries their cousin here. That's Arkansas. -Jeremy

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
jturner said:
Not everyone marries their cousin here. That's Arkansas. -Jeremy
LOLOL Excellent comeback!

Long story short - your friend can be any age and marry if both sets of parents consent. If they don't, he's got to wait 'til he's 18.

M

MindyT

Good way to get a birthday laugh.....

You guys are a trip, and that WAS a good one!! Thanks for brightening my 26th birthday!!

M

MindyT

Ah, such sharp eyes....I didn't notice, did anyone else?? Maybe everyone in the whole damned state is getting married underage!!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">