• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abstract of Judgment filed after appeal??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

My ex-husband filed an abstract of judgement on me. Our 4.5yr divorce ended on July 7,2005, when the final decree was signed by the judge. I owed him money and the court never gave me the oportunity to pay him, he just filed the abstract of judgment on July 19, 2005 (signed on August 23, 2005). On August 25, 2005, he filed for an appeal on the court order (decree) dated July 7, 2005. On September 13, 2005 he filed the abstract of judgment on me, in the county I live in. We live in two different parts of the state.

My question is...How can he file the abstract of judgment when he filed an appeal to the judgement?

Also, The judgment is in my married name and my name has been restored to my maiden name. I hold my property in my maiden name. Will the judgment be recorded against the property I currently own?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential