• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abused by my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarcoB

What is the name of your state? Hi to everyone, I’m Marco and I’m from Italy , I’m married to an American citizen who turned my life in a very nightmare! I was verbally and mentally abused from him for 2 years and last year he was also physically abusing he punched me in the face and I was was bleeding... I never called the police and never reported him because I loved him and he was blackmailing me about my immigration process to get the green card thru him ... unfortunately few days ago I got arrested because he called the police a month ago because I throw his iPad ( which he gifted to me verbally) and now he putted an order of protection against me .... I have to say that we were fighting cause he took my cell phone ( that was in his name but that I paid for) and I asked to give me back my phone but he refused and I got so angry ... so I’m the end I’m the victim but now he looks like he is the victim.... so unfair ... I found a good lawyer that I hope he can help me too re-convert the my case ... I’m just so scared ... he destroyed in less than one week my entire life ... I’m feeling so Shocked... I have thanks god pictures when he hitter me and milion of text message e-mail where he was calling me in all kind of way ... thanks for dedicating time for read

t74

You need to consult both criminal and immigration attorneys. A domestic violence charge is serious. If you threw something at him in anger, he is a victim; it does not matter who "owned" the item thrown. You may also be a victim, but you cannot expect the US courts to ignore the evidence of your misconduct.

Quite frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would endure domestic abuse just to get a green card. One's owns life is far more precious. For future reference, in the US domestic violence agencies assist both men and women - including potential immigrants. If you are ever again in that situation again, immediately leave and go to an agency where you will receive the best advice and assistance.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What state?

What is the name of your state? Hi to everyone, I’m Marco and I’m from Italy , I’m married to an American citizen who turned my life in a very nightmare! I was verbally and mentally abused from him for 2 years and last year he was also physically abusing he punched me in the face and I was was bleeding... I never called the police and never reported him because I loved him and he was blackmailing me about my immigration process to get the green card thru him ... unfortunately few days ago I got arrested because he called the police a month ago because I throw his iPad ( which he gifted to me verbally) and now he putted an order of protection against me .... I have to say that we were fighting cause he took my cell phone ( that was in his name but that I paid for) and I asked to give me back my phone but he refused and I got so angry ... so I’m the end I’m the victim but now he looks like he is the victim.... so unfair ... I found a good lawyer that I hope he can help me too re-convert the my case ... I’m just so scared ... he destroyed in less than one week my entire life ... I’m feeling so Shocked... I have thanks god pictures when he hitter me and milion of text message e-mail where he was calling me in all kind of way ... thanks for dedicating time for read
That was stupid.

Because you have no (legally admissable) proof.

And by the way, the way it's currently worded, VAWA applies to battered spouses. So enduring abuse because your spouse is threatening to mess with your immigration status is unnecessary.

Retain the best immigration lawyer you can find, in addition to whoever is representing you for the criminal matter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Did I miss the VAWA reauthorization (I may have)? Because you'd best hustle to invoke it otherwise. Assuming it will be grandfathered.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Did I miss the VAWA reauthorization (I may have)? Because you'd best hustle to invoke it otherwise. Assuming it will be grandfathered.
The link I included was to USCIS, which one would hope would be accurate.

In April 2019 it was reauthorized by Congress, but apparently the Senate is dithering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">