• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abused Spouse Self petition -- can I stay in US?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?
My marriage lasted for a month, I was living with my husband for half an year before the marriage.

I experienced abuse by my husband and was thrown out. He filed for annulment, saying that I left, but there is plenty of evidence I was thrown out. I cross filed for divorce.

Without his knowledge I am applying for green card for an abused spouse. In the meantime, my current status expires in March – my OPT expired in Jan, and I am in the 60 days grace period.

1. Am I allowed to stay in the country while I am waiting to hear from the immigr. services about my self petition?
2. Am I going to receive work authorization while the green card petition is pending?

Thanks a lot!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential