• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive bf won’t move out of shared living situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California
Hi. So,my parents bought a house for my boyfriend of many years and I to move into. My dad worked very hard to get us very low monthly mortgage. Over the year that we lived there, his verbal abuse has gotten more and more violent. Last night he was breaking things, smashing chairs and putting holes in the walls. I have video of some of this and other times his outbursts have been violent, because I thought he might harm himself or me.
I asked him to leave today. I explained that his outbursts were abuse and I offered to give him his money that he paid towards the house and 45 days to move.... about 9k (I paid all rent and utilities, he put a little bit of money (to my dad, not the banks) down towards the principal)
now he’s saying he has witnesses that he’s been paying rent and he has renters rights and is threatening to sue me.
What do I do? Should I hire a lawyer?

EDIT: my bf and I have been dating for many years, we have been living in this house for only one.

Last edited:

Leave; the situation will not improve with age and judging from your boyfriends violent nature you are at risk. Report the abuse to the police to begin a paper trail because being sued is the least of your worries.
What was the repayment agreement between your parents, yourself and the boyfriend?

Thank you for your response; I left yesterday to my parents house and have texts showing that I have offered to give him his money he invested and 45days. The agreement was only to pay the mortgage, and if we wanted and were able to pay towards the principal we could...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So when he was breaking things, putting holes in the walls, etc. - what did the police say? You did call them, correct?

If he's lived there "for years", he may need to be legally evicted. How is the house deeded? Do the two of you own it? Or your parents? That matters, too.

TigerD

1. If you feel that you are in danger, you need to seek an order of protection.
2. If he is on the mortgage or deed to the house, your situation is going to be more complicated and likely require an attorney.

TD

So when he was breaking things, putting holes in the walls, etc. - what did the police say? You did call them, correct?

If he's lived there "for years", he may need to be legally evicted. How is the house deeded? Do the two of you own it? Or your parents? That matters, too.
Thank you for your response; I did not call the police, I took video and I left for my patents house.

The house is in my father’s name, and mortgage comes out of my bank account.

1. If you feel that you are in danger, you need to seek an order of protection.
2. If he is on the mortgage or deed to the house, your situation is going to be more complicated and likely require an attorney.

TD
I still feel I would be in danger if I return to my home without someone there with me, But I am at my parents house now.
He is not on the mortgage or deed. I was offering to give him the money he paid in cash to my father towards the principal, but all payments otherwise are recorded and in my name.
Thank you for your response

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for your response; I did not call the police, I took video and I left for my patents house.

The house is in my father’s name, and mortgage comes out of my bank account.
It is not too late to file a police report.

You make a report, and since he is vandalizing the property, your father should report that.

You should petition for a restraining order, your father should start the process of getting the BF evicted, on the grounds that BF is damaging the house/decreasing its value, and being abusive to you. Before asking the court for an eviction, BF has to be given some sort of notice, stating he has to get out by a certain date, or be evicted. (<-- Run this by a lawyer. It's more formal than this.)

After getting the BF out, your father can consider whether it would be worth it to go after him for the cost of repairing the damage he's done to the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">