• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AC problems...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jgutta420

What is the name of your state? Florida

So here's the issue. I recently moved into a house and I am renting it. When the PM showed me the place the ac was non functional. The thermostat showed 92 inside. He assured me that it would be fixed by move in which was exactly 30 days later. Viewed 7/1 and moved in 8/1. 8/1 it still wasn't working and at this point I'm livid. They had an entire month to fix it. Anyway, the ac guy comes on 8/2 and "fixes" it. Worked for like 2 days and stopped again. He came back out on 8/7 and "fixed it again". Worked for a few days and them broke again. Came back on 8/12 and said a part needed to be ordered and it should be 2 days max. 7 days later (8/19) he shows up and "fixes" it again. So here we are, 8/25 and it's still not working properly. I set it to 74 and it runs all day while the inside temp climbs to 80. At night it'll get to 74 but that's the only time. I know my bills gonna be outrageous and in the lease it clearly says landlord is responsible for ac. Do I have any recourse here?

Gail in Georgia

At this point the unit is running (i.e., functioning) but not getting it cold enough for you, correct?

Is this an older house where perhaps the insulation is lacking?

Gail

Jgutta420

At this point the unit is running (i.e., functioning) but not getting it cold enough for you, correct?

Is this an older house where perhaps the insulation is lacking?

Gail
It is running but I don't think it's functioning properly. From what I understand, a properly functioning unit should have air blowing out of the vents at least 20 degrees cooler than the outside temp. Today was around 95 and the air blowing out the vents was 78 degrees. It's definitely not sucking the humidity out as it should and I know because the vents are "sweating". I checked and it's 2 tons and for my square footage it should have no problem cooling the house. It was built in 71 and it looks to be original windows so it probably could use an upgrade.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">