• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to Personal Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inthedoghouse

What is the name of your state? GA

I moved out a year ago. In February Judge gave her temporary exclusive use of house, her car and required me to pay mortgage, car/house insurance for 6 months. That order was dated February 9th and retroactive to February 1st. Exact wording says 6 months or until further order of court. I interpret that as expired?!? So now I want to get stuff from house. She won't return phone calls or letters. (Forget about attorney, I have an unresponsive attorney as posted here previously.) Can I ask the sheriff to go to the house with me so I can get some belongings I left there pending resolution of this divorce? It is jointly deeded and I'm the sole name on the mortgage. That should be the 11th commandment not to do!!! Thanks

Tayla

At time of leaving you would have done well to take your personal belongings.
Contact the sheriffs office. Doubtfull you'll get all your things since so much time has past. She may well have tossed them out. Did you keep a log of your items and there value?

LdiJ

inthedoghouse said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I moved out a year ago. In February Judge gave her temporary exclusive use of house, her car and required me to pay mortgage, car/house insurance for 6 months. That order was dated February 9th and retroactive to February 1st. Exact wording says 6 months or until further order of court. I interpret that as expired?!? So now I want to get stuff from house. She won't return phone calls or letters. (Forget about attorney, I have an unresponsive attorney as posted here previously.) Can I ask the sheriff to go to the house with me so I can get some belongings I left there pending resolution of this divorce? It is jointly deeded and I'm the sole name on the mortgage. That should be the 11th commandment not to do!!! Thanks
You should have dealt with the issue of your belongings back in February. As the other poster said...there is no guarantee your belongings are still there. Since the judge gave her exclusive use of the house, I would not recommend attempting to force your way into the house to retrieve belongings. I would recommend taking it back to court and getting an order from the judge.

djohnson

I agree to taking it back to court or getting another order. This is not how I interpret it. It says 6 months or until further order of the court. It can mean which ever comes first or it could mean a minimum of 6 months. Because it doesn't state specifically or you haven't printed all of it here, I would wait to be advised from your attorney or the court.

inthedoghouse

Yes the order does have one more sentence(Thank you djohnson). Here's the entire wording "This order shall continue in effect for a period of six months or until further order of the court. If this case is not resolved within six months, either party may apply to the court for a continuation of the order". Also, should I start listing my personal stuff still in the house. I took pictures of everything, 2 rolls of film when I was last in the house. And since I have an unresponsive attorney and the court won't recognize me can I get a hearing. I called the judge's office and they need to speak with my attorney of record. I told him about this when we first consulted and every chance I've had since then. You see how far its gotton in over 2 months now. I'd go on my own but I've already paid him a $3500 retainer. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">