• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access to public records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Nevada,

How do I go about filing suit in the county court for access to the records that I have been denied? This is in regard to a code enforcement action by the city of Henderson. The actions have been resolved and the record of complaint should now be public record. The city attorney's office has not provided me with either a written denial or the records that I have requested. Five months and numerous e-mails and calls have passed with no results. I suspect that the city's code enforcement officer has acted without the required written complaint. Now, the city is envolved in covering this up. I have learned that the officer is related to one of my neighbors, unfortunately that neighbor is hostile towards us.


Senior Member
First thing I would suggest.... before you contemplate a long and expensive lawsuit, would be to formalize your request in writing (your post says only phone calls and email). Send your request by certified mail to the Manager of the department holding the records. Be professional and concise in your request. Do not go into any unnecessary details (alleged relationships, etc.). Request the appropriate files and/or an opinion (and statute) as to the reason why they are not public record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential