• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accessing email messages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Paul Beaudette

Is it legal for someone, even a private investigator, to open or read emails w/o my permission? How could anyone access my emails w/o my knowledge, because I believe this has happened based on conversations w/other persons.

ALawyer

If you are an employee of a business and send out email on the business' computers under most state laws it has the right to go to the computer and access all the contents, including the emails. Most employers publish that in their handbooks for additional protection.

It normally requires a search warrant for the police to gain access to your private email (say at home on a personal PC -- in the office the firm can give permission). A private investigator has NO right to access your email, unless you, or someone else who has a right to access it, gives permission. Period.

However, generally anyone to whom you send an email may share it with anyone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">