• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident and insurance isn't paying why?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeLpMe111

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

i was involved in an accident about 3-4 weeks ago. it was a hit and run and i did obtain the license plate. i went to the police station and reported it. they then found out who was driving the other car and gave me thier info. i reported the accident to my insurance and they told me if i could get an police accident report it would spped things up. i went to the police station and their was no police report available, then i spoke to the officer he told me he won't be writing one and that he wasn't going to press charges on the other party. i told that to my insurance and my adjuster was like "no he is suppose to write one", so to make things less complicated the officer called my insurance company as requested by my adjuster. OK, finally they talk to the officer and i was relieved thinking everything is all set and i can get my freaking car fixed. i was so wrong. now, the insurance is telling me they need a statement from the other party regarding the accident. what happens if the other party never reported the accident or won't talk to my insurance company? can my insurance keep pushing me off? HELLO, i have full coverage.

JETX

Clearly, something is missing here.

So, lets start with.....
What was the response of your insurance company when you advised them in WRITING that you would be filing a complaint with your state insurance commission??
What did your AGENT say when you talked with him??
What reason did the officer give you for his refusal to take a report??
What did your insurance company say when you filed a claim with them??

HeLpMe111

hiii... thanx for replying and here the answers

i never told them i was going to file a complaint with state
insurance commision. do you think i should? i kinda don't feel that it is neccessary yet.

and "AGENT", to whom do you refer to? is it my agency?

i think the officer was going to give them a break.

and my insurance company said " case is basically under investigation till they get the other parties statement".

Call the Officer's supervisor. The Officer should have written a report. Hit & Run is a major traffic violation. The Officer certainly has the option not to issue a citation for the offense, if he wants to give that person "a break", but you are entitled to receive that person's insurance information.

If you carry collision coverage, your insurance company must take care of your damages. It is not YOUR responsibilty to obtain the report for them, but I'd sure as heck make sure a report got made. You give your insurance company the other party's license plate number, and the rest of it is their job. Your deductible will probably apply, unless they determine the other person has no insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">