• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident in a car borrowed from friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wyomingvoices

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

My niece borrowed a friends car to go to the store. She came upon a red light and applied the breaks but they did not work. She went through the red light and was in a accident. The officer asked her for proof of insurance and when she showed it to him the insurance card was expired. Is she responsible for the damage to the other vehicle's involved in the accident? Is the owner of the car in anyway responsible? She was told by the owner of the car she borrowed that it was insured.

ALawyer

In general (as I am NOT a Wyoming lawyer) the driver is responsible if and to the extent she was negligent. IF the brakes were faulty and she did not know that (or had no reason to know that) -- and excuse me as I am skeptical when someone claims the brakes were defective and she did not know that -- then it should not be her fault. Is.f the owner knew and failed to disclose that, he's at fault. As for insurance, that's irrelevant to liability, but not to who actually pay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">