• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident in Texas - at-fault driver fled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was in an accident with a driver who just straight up drove off (which is illegal here, I think), and I'm at a loss. Do I treat it like an uninsured driver and hope for the best? The officer who showed up wasn't really helpful. I got the make but only the first couple letters of the license plate as they drove off because I was just stunned... What should I do?

Right - does that change how insurance handles it? I haven't gotten much clarity from them. Would a lawyer be of any help?
Generally, your collision insurance handles a hit-and-run claim. If you do not have collision insurance and you don't have enough information to identify the other party, you are likely going to need to pay out of pocket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally, your collision insurance handles a hit-and-run claim. If you do not have collision insurance and you don't have enough information to identify the other party, you are likely going to need to pay out of pocket.
There are only a handful of states where UM doesn't handle hit-and-run accidents. The OP is in Texas, so UM should cover it.
@adjusterjack - would you concur?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The officer who showed up wasn't really helpful.
Don't be too hard on the officer - without decent information on the other vehicle, there's not much that can done. Furthermore, it's not the officer's job to know how your insurance works.

There are only a handful of states where UM doesn't handle hit-and-run accidents. The OP is in Texas, so UM should cover it.
@adjusterjack - would you concur?
Apparently, it's both.

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/blog/hit-and-run.html

Will your auto insurance pay after a hit-and-run crash?

Every 43 seconds someone in the U.S. is involved in a hit-and-run accident. We hope it never happens to you, but statistics show it’s something that unfortunately happens a lot. So, what can you do?
Make sure you have the right auto coverage to repair your car.
In Texas, the law requires you to have liability insurance, but that won’t pay to repair your car after an accident. Liability insurance only pays to repair the other person’s car if you’re at fault in an accident.
To get your car repaired, you’ll need a car insurance policy with collision coverage or uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) property damage coverage. Both pay for car repairs after a hit-and-run accident. UM/UIM coverage usually has a lower deductible than collision coverage and may pay for a rental car if you need it.

adjusterjack

Right - does that change how insurance handles it? I haven't gotten much clarity from them.
Do you have collision coverage? If you do have collision coverage make the claim on your own policy.

If you don't have collision coverage, did you buy Uninsured Motorists Property Damage coverage?

In Texas, insurers must offer UMPD of $25000 as an optional coverage. The insured has the option of rejecting the coverage and likely has to sign a form acknowledging the rejection.

In my sample Texas auto policy (where UMPD was elected) an uninsured vehicle is defined to include a vehicle "Which is a hit-and-run vehicle whose operator or owner cannot be identified."

Now go read your policy to see what kind of insurance you have or don't have.

Would a lawyer be of any help?
To himself for the thousands of dollars he would rake in to handle this for you. :eek:

Do you have collision coverage? If you do have collision coverage make the claim on your own policy.

If you don't have collision coverage, did you buy Uninsured Motorists Property Damage coverage?

In Texas, insurers must offer UMPD of $25000 as an optional coverage. The insured has the option of rejecting the coverage and likely has to sign a form acknowledging the rejection.

In my sample Texas auto policy (where UMPD was elected) an uninsured vehicle is defined to include a vehicle "Which is a hit-and-run vehicle whose operator or owner cannot be identified."

Now go read your policy to see what kind of insurance you have or don't have.

To himself for the thousands of dollars he would rake in to handle this for you. :eek:
Looks like I did opt in, so that should cover the repairs and stuff. Good point on the lawyer, not sure it's worth all that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">