• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident settlement/Liable to hlth ins co?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jack6

What is the name of your state? MO

My husband was in an auto accident in January. The other driver rear ended him and accepted full responsibility. We have just received a small settlement from his insurance company. The problem is that we have received 3 letters from our health insurance company wanting information about the accident because they paid for his emergency room visit and one trip to his PCP. My husband has spoken with our attorney several times and all he can tell us is that he is unaware of any liens against a judgement, however, that does not give us much assurance that our health insurance company won't sue us for the settlement we received ($1,971). The medical bills totaled $1,700. Can ANYONE tell us whether our health insurance company (CIGNA) can force us to pay them the $1,700 in medical bills they paid for his accident? Do we have to provide them with any information at all? ANY assistance at all would be greatly appreciated!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jack6 said:
What is the name of your state? MO

My husband was in an auto accident in January. The other driver rear ended him and accepted full responsibility. We have just received a small settlement from his insurance company. The problem is that we have received 3 letters from our health insurance company wanting information about the accident because they paid for his emergency room visit and one trip to his PCP. My husband has spoken with our attorney several times and all he can tell us is that he is unaware of any liens against a judgement, however, that does not give us much assurance that our health insurance company won't sue us for the settlement we received ($1,971). The medical bills totaled $1,700. Can ANYONE tell us whether our health insurance company (CIGNA) can force us to pay them the $1,700 in medical bills they paid for his accident? Do we have to provide them with any information at all? ANY assistance at all would be greatly appreciated!

My response:

Read your insurance policy. I am quite sure you'll find wording to the effect that you are responsible for "reimbursement" on Third Party claims.

Since most policies have reimbursement clauses, it's more probable than not that you owe your insurance company the money.

IAAL

B

budala

hi there,
my husband was in a similar position.
his medical bill was close to 750,000 (this is not a mistake).
as soon as our health ins learned that a third party was liable for the injuries they sent us a letter stating the clause that according to the contract we had with our health ins company we need to pay 33% from the settlement because the injury was caused by a third party. my husband got 75,000 and our attorney negotiated that we pay to the ins company 20,000 instead of 25,000.so you can review the contract with cigna and try to negotiate something
hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">