• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accident with no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JR24

California - Traveling on the freeway, the car in front locked up under braking, I swerved to miss the car in front, car in next lane sped past clipping the front end of my car. Both parties pulled to the side of the road, no injuries. We traded insurance cards, damage was light so both parties went about their day, Police were not called. It wasn't until after I realized that I had given the incorrect insurance card. I was under the impression that the vehicle was insured under my fathers policy, I did not have the policy number on hand. I called him and got the policy number, shortly there after I received a call from her insurance and was told that it was my fault, I gave the policy number that I received from my father and they informed me that the vehicle was in fact not insured under that policy number. This is when I realized that car was not insured at all. I called the other party and offered my sincere apologies and offered to pay out of pocket for the damages and that I did not want to go through the insurance companies. She agreed and I sent her an agreement stating that she would not go through the insurance company and I would pay for the damage. After sending the agreement I did not hear from her for some time (about a week) I called twice a day until she then informed me that she sent the agreement to her insurance company and they were asking for my insurance. I reiterated that I did not want to go through the insurance company and I was happy to pay for the damage out of pocket. I did not hear from her again regardless of attempts to get in touch. Today I received a letter informing me that Statefarm has given this claim to a law firm for repayment of the unresolved claim and are threatening to suspend my license.

My question is this. Do I have any recourse? Or should I just admit fault and Pay for the damage?

I sincerely appreciate any help on this matter, if there any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Recourse? You were at fault. Of course you need to pay for the damage? Also, if the other driver (and you) do what is legally required, and if the damage to either vehicle is over $1,000, then your license will be suspended once the accident is reported to the DMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">