• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My sister was involved in a car accident almost 2 years ago. She was stopped at a light and the car in front of her started to go. She also started to go. The driver of the first car, stopped and my sister rear ended the first car. Seeing as my sisters car was old and had very litle power she was unable to get that much power in such a short time. She claims she was only going about 5 to 7 miles an hour. The cops were not called to the scene and my sister left her info with the other driver.
What my sister did not realize was that her insurance was cancelled, and she ended paying to remove the little dent she caused. But now 2 years later, she is being sued for over 15,000 dollars? What should she do. Also the summons she got was left in between her screen and her front door, I thought summons' had to be presented to a human? Any advise will be greatly appreiciated.




Now she is being sued because she had no isurance, and they have to collect from her, any and all damages relating to the accident.

SEEEEEEEE why the police are our friends..

With a fender bender police report, they would not be able to get away with this!

Only way is to prove you sister really really really didnt know her insurance was cancelled.....like if the cancellation notice was postmarked a week after the accident, but the papaerwork said the insurance was cancelled the week before the accident.

Most insurance comapnies let you know 30 days that on such and such a date it is cancelled!

lars coltrane

I suggest your sister invest some money by consulting with a lawyer. A lawyer may be able to settle the matter for pennies on the dollar. Whatever you do, it is unwise to do nothing and let the matter go to a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential