• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental Death Benefit - Homicide?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sa1wxl

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My son was murdered recently. We had an accidental death rider on his life insurance policy with John Han****. I am the beneficiary and owner of this $10,000 policy. Would this qualify as an accidental death? We are setting up an educational fund for his 9 year old daughter, and would like to put as much in this fund as possible. Customer service at John Han**** will not answer this question and we no longer have a copy of the policy to review.

Betty

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My son was murdered recently. We had an accidental death rider on his life insurance policy with John Han****. I am the beneficiary and owner of this $10,000 policy. Would this qualify as an accidental death? We are setting up an educational fund for his 9 year old daughter, and would like to put as much in this fund as possible. Customer service at John Han**** will not answer this question and we no longer have a copy of the policy to review.
Most accidental death policy provisions indicate accidental death is any death that results from causes other than natural causes or homicide. (The co. I worked for would not pay an AD benefit for homicide.) However, you would need to read your policy provision regarding accidental death - there may be some policies that will pay. I know you said you no longer have your policy. You might ask your agent for help with this question or ask to speak to a supervisor in the claims dept. However, like I said, most policies will not pay AD for homicide/murder.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">