• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment Policy Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tanakarr

Kansas

My father was killed in an auto accident. We learned, days after his death, that he had an "accidental death and dismemberment policy" for a significant amount of money. His wife and he had been legally seperated for approximately 2 years prior to the accident and death. She is listed as the sole beneficiary to that policy. Does that beneficiary still stand? Or, can or should this money be put into his estate and divided among his surviving children? (All children are adult children - not dependents).

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tanakarr said:
Kansas

My father was killed in an auto accident. We learned, days after his death, that he had an "accidental death and dismemberment policy" for a significant amount of money. His wife and he had been legally seperated for approximately 2 years prior to the accident and death. She is listed as the sole beneficiary to that policy. Does that beneficiary still stand? Or, can or should this money be put into his estate and divided among his surviving children? (All children are adult children - not dependents).

My response:

Does that beneficiary still stand? Yes.

He could have changed his beneficiary, but obviously, he didn't - - which can only mean one thing - - it was still his intent that his wife, though separated, still take from the policy.

End of story.

IAAL

S

ShadyLL

Yes, the beneficiary is as listed on the policy. My friends' husband was killed in a car accident and he still had his parents listed as beneficiary, even though they were married for 2 years. His parents kept all the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">