• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental death policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lindasilver

What is the name of your state?Nevada
undefinedA friend who had lived with me on and off for several years went to prison for DUI. Before he went to prison he bought an AD policy and had it for about two years. After he got out of prison he began drinking and running again 4 months later he was found a state away murdered. I was his power of attorney and had taken care of his affairs for several years. When I made the claim to the insurance company I was assuming that his brother would be the benef. However the Insurance company informed me that it was I that was the benef. I made the claim 2/14/04. The last time I heard from the Company was 5/4/04. that was when they told me that they had to make sure that the law wasnt considering me as a suspect and that I would have to be released as one. The detective on the case told me that wasnt possible as no one is released until the case is closed or solved. A murder case is never closed unless it is solved. At this point the Company will not answer my letters nor coorespond with me in any fashion. It has been 10 months what should I do?

Dandy Don

The only way you will be exonerated is when the police eventually do find a suspect and get him convicted. Maybe it would help if you would get a letter from the detective saying you are not a suspect at this time.

File a complaint with your state insurance commissioner (http://doi.state.nv.us) so he can investigate and so you can ask whether they have the legal right to suspend payment until a suspect is convicted and whether you lose the right to be paid after a certain time limit.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

L

Lindasilver

I have spoke to the detective regarding a statement from him as to me not being suspect at this time he said this is against policy. The friend was in his 60's and had been a bad alcoholic for most of his life.I helped him many many times get dried out, treatment but he always went back. When he came up missing I looked for him for over a month, checking jails, hospitals, ect. He really had no family excepting a elderly brother that lived in Europe. When he was found deceased, I tried to make burial arrangements the state kept telling me that they would let me know when I could do so. I kept calling finally after 4 weeks the state informed me he had been buried a week ago by order of the D.A.I was shocked. He was on parole and wasnt to leave the state he continued to go back to Utah without permission to see his drinking buddies.I tried to keep his shearch low key as I was afraid of violating his parole or allerting anyone to his whereabouts. He had years ago lived in Utah and had his bank account in the state where his pension check of 430.00 a month went.I was a signer on the account and used the account 1 time a month to pay his bills. The bank account was ceased by the state of Utah.It was only about $900.00. The bank had sent me documents on the account as there was a small ADD on the account it paid off, $600.00. The State ended up with that money. He had another lifepolicy from his union that was left to another friend of his that he knew 15 years ago and had no contact with. I as his POA recieved that info and assisted the woman with collecting her policy, IE death certf,ME reports ect. It paid within the month. As far as the dept of Insurance Comm. There is no one that gets anytype of help with them they are completely useless in fact it is a common joke of matter here in Nevada. But I will infact make this complaint today. I contacted an attorney and paid to him $1000.00. I requested that he make a demand on the insurance company.I sent to him all documents and had the M.E. report sent to him directly as I didnt want to see it, from my information he was blungeoned to death. It pains me greatly to just know this let alone see it. The attorney has yet to make any further steps, other than speak to the detective. He claims there is nothing unusual in the report and I have verified my whereabouts during this time. The attorney has had the reports and info for 7 months.I know this is a lot of info but I thought through this there maybe something I missed or could have done differantly.

ALawyer

While some investigation is perfectly reasonable, here after 10 months the insurance company seems to be acting unreasonably (unless it has some information implicating you) that you either prove yourself innocent or the police charge someone else. In fact this smacks of bad faith.

You have a lawyer. The lawyer should be able to do something, including filing suit against the company for bad faith - get him or her to move or get a new lawyer.

L

Lindasilver

Thank you for your help and information. You have been most kind in responding. I appreciate this site and I know as well as many others have gain great insite to there issues and questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">