• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accidental death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my 20 year old nephew was killed in a head on collision last month as was the other driver. My nephew was not married, but has a two year old daughter. There was no will. There was a life insurance policy, however no beneficary was named? The car that was involved in the accident was totaled, he was the co-signer with his mother. His mother also signed the agreement to pay the funeral with the promise of paying the funeral with the money from the life insurance policy. We have just received paper work from the life insurance company asking us to prove legal heirs. Since he does have a child it is our understanding that the child would be the beneficary. The question is would this money go to a trust fund until the child reaches maturity? Does the mother of the child have any legal right to the money? How can we assure the funeral home will receive their money? Additionaly, since my sister in law was the co-signer on the car is she entitled to the insurance pay off of the car? Is she entitled to any money from the other driver's insursance since he actually destroyed a car that was legally in her name, or does that money default to the child as the beneficary and legal heir? What rights does she have as the car co-owner as far as payment is concerned? Is she responsible for his debts? Or is this the responsibility of the mother of the child since she is the legal gaurdian of the only surviving heir. This all took place in the state of nevada.


Senior Member
My response:

I realize that your family situation arose from a vehicle accident, and it may have been logical for you to post to this board as a result; however, this matter is now a "Wills and Probate" issue. Please post yours to that law board.



Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential