• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accidentally double dipping?! re: pre-tax health insurance premiums and HRA acct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynn1602

So, for several years my husband has a mandatory HRA account. For years, I've also submitted my paystubs as proof that I pay for my children's health insurance via my employer. This is "pre-tax" money.

I just got a letter from the HRA acct saying my acct was audited and they will "no longer allow pre-tax health insurance premiums to be reimbursed. Both recurring and new claims will not be eligible."

So-my concern is that I've been "double-dipping" (as my brother explained it to me) but I'm worried what the consequences might be?!

I had no idea this was not ok to do! a) I've been doing it for years b) I've never had a claim denied c) we've always been reimbursed based on my paystubs which clearly shows the premiums come out pre-tax.

Help! What might happen?

I called the HRA acct (my husband is union by the way) and they had no idea what might happen. The lady I talked to was going to talk to her supervisor to see what I/they need to do in re: to talking with the IRS or even paying the money back (thousands of dollars?!).

Any advice? I'm pretty upset right now.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

TIMMAAYY

First off, let's get a couple things straight.

1) Your husband has an HRA account through his employer.

2) You and your children are on YOUR employer's plan ( not the husband's employer plan ).

3) You were reimbursed for premium that was taken out "pre-tax" from your check, with "pre-tax" money from your husband's HRA account.

Is this correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">