• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accomodation at work issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rorymcgarrett

Hello,
I am working in a care home and I live upstairs. The deal was rent free accomodation, but I have to be on call two nights a week. The problem is that I don't have my own private bathroom and have to share it with the elderly (I can find anything in the toilet/bathroom starting with wee and poo in the bath or floor). There is an en suite room that is vacant and my boss said no to me moving in there. He is also saying no to using the bathroom in the room. So my question is, is there any law that says that live in people have to have their own facilities? I am desperately looking for any help in fighting my boss on that.

Just Blue

Hello,
I am working in a care home and I live upstairs. The deal was rent free accomodation, but I have to be on call two nights a week. The problem is that I don't have my own private bathroom and have to share it with the elderly (I can find anything in the toilet/bathroom starting with wee and poo in the bath or floor). There is an en suite room that is vacant and my boss said no to me moving in there. He is also saying no to using the bathroom in the room. So my question is, is there any law that says that live in people have to have their own facilities? I am desperately looking for any help in fighting my boss on that.
What state?

FarmerJ

Years ago actual real apartments at times had shared bathrooms (sharing with a neighbor ) places like that are far and few these days but they were tolerated by cities and classed as substandard housing, In regular homes you are not likely to find anything that requires the LL to supply you with a non shared bathroom, If your not willing to continue to live there then perhaps you should give your employer notice and move out.

adjusterjack

There is an en suite room that is vacant and my boss said no to me moving in there. He is also saying no to using the bathroom in the room.
Stands to reason. He's reserving it for a future paying customer and he'll probably get a few thousand per month for it and he's right to keep you out of it.

is there any law that says that live in people have to have their own facilities?
Lodging provided to an employee is generally not addressed by landlord tenant statutes and since you ignored the question about your state, can't help you there.

I am desperately looking for any help in fighting my boss on that.
The bottom line is likely to be this: If you don't like the arrangements find yourself a place to rent and work a regular shift. Though you'll still likely have to use the same bathroom.

LdiJ

Hello,
I am going to disagree with the other responses that you have received. I do not believe that you have provided enough information for them to have formulated the opinions that have been expressed.

First, who is your boss? Do you work for an agency or have you been directly hired by perhaps a member of your patient's family? I can tell you that in at least some states it would generally be frowned upon for you to share a bathroom with your patient, for the patient's sake, not for yours.

HRZ

OSHA may have some requirements as to employer needs to maintain sanitary bathroom facilities for employees , even small employers ....dig into same ...

PayrollHRGuy

OSHA may have some requirements as to employer needs to maintain sanitary bathroom facilities for employees , even small employers ....dig into same ...
OSHA does not require an employee be given a bathroom of her on. Quoting from the OSHA site "Additionally, bathrooms should be placed no further than a quarter mile from employees in all industries."

justalayman

OSHA does not require an employee be given a bathroom of her on. Quoting from the OSHA site "Additionally, bathrooms should be placed no further than a quarter mile from employees in all industries."
The suggestion was that there may be laws the require the patient/client to have a restroom facility separate from an employees toilet facitlktkes. If that is the case it would reauire employer to provide other facilities for op to use.
As to your 1/4 mile requiremnt; the only industry I can find the applies to are farmlwrkerd. In the construction industry, if facilities are not provided within the building they must be less than 10 minutes travel time away.

In general employment situations, the employer must provide toilet and lavatory facilities on site and the number of toilets required is based on employment numbers.

I suspect the health department has rules on the toilet facilities required in an elder care facility in addition to what OSHA may require for employees. Those rules are where one would find the requirement for separate facilities for residents compared to employees.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
May I suggest that if no one has been able to find a law requiring the OP to have her own bathroom that suggests that perhaps there isn't one and she's simply going to have to deal?

justalayman

Since it appears the state hasn’t been provided it’s impossible to state whether there is such a requirement

LdiJ

May I suggest that if no one has been able to find a law requiring the OP to have her own bathroom that suggests that perhaps there isn't one and she's simply going to have to deal?
Have any of us been looking? I threw that out only because the agencies my daughter has worked for have frowned upon home health care workers sharing a bathroom with their patients. Again, for the patient's sake not for the worker's sake.

justalayman

Have any of us been looking? I threw that out only because the agencies my daughter has worked for have frowned upon home health care workers sharing a bathroom with their patients. Again, for the patient's sake not for the worker's sake.
Without at least the state I haven’t bothered.

Depending on the type of facility I agree you may have a valid point. Especially if a patient has c diff or other serious ilnesses, sharing a toilet facility is unwise if not actually forbidden

commentator

Something about this post, certain phrases used, causes me to think this may not even be U.S. law. Unless the person comes back and tells us a state, I'm going to bet it's not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">