• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Account Balance Pension Blues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chucky1

What is the name of your state? Indiana.

Within the last week I decided to accept a cash-balance pension plan and forgo my traditional pension. Since that time I have come to find out that the amount of money the company showed us as our Opening Acccount Balance is actually about one-third what my pension actually was worth. Do I have any options to get back to my original pension such as a right-of-recision. I have not signed anything yet, as the change was made over the Internet and I am waiting on confirmation through the mail. PLEASE HELP?

Beth3

Since that time I have come to find out that the amount of money the company showed us as our Opening Acccount Balance is actually about one-third what my pension actually was worth. Was worth when? When you retired X number of years from now, assuming you stayed with your employer until retirement?

Since a pension plan is a defined benefit plan (and thus is a future liability, not a present one unless you are at retirement age), converting it to a cash-value is a calculation that would be subject to approval by the federal DOL, the IRS, and the PBGC before any conversion would be allowed to take place. It's not a number that your employer just picked out of a hat.

The first thing you need to do is to ask your employer for a full explanation of what appears to you to be a discrepancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">