• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accrued Vacation/Healthcare at termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lhkelley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was terminated for lack of work on November 30. I am receiving 2 weeks of severance pay. I accrued 2 weeks of vacation on November 21 and although the company has paid previous employees for their earned vacation, they have e-mailed me that they cannot afford to pay me for my earned vacation. In addition, my healthcare was terminated on November 30 without notice to me. In the past, any terminated employee had healthcare through the time they received severance. Do I have any recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees you either or both of the vacation and/or healthcare. Neither Georgia nor Federal law requires that unused vacation be paid out at termination, and as for the healthcare, your employer's only responsibility is to continue it until you are no longer eligible for it under the insurance plan document. Georgia's employment laws are notoriously weak and it's quite unlikely that what happened with previous employees would be found to be a legally binding precedent for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">