• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accrued vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonytee1947

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Can an employer suspend accrued vacation as a means of cost cutting?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Assuming that you are in the US, the answer to your question is yes, the employer can. There is nowhere, anywhere in the US, where an employer is required by law to provide paid vacation. So in the absence of a legally binding contract or CBA that specifically says otherwise, the employer may suspend or downright cancel paid vacations any time he chooses. He also may legally refuse to allow employees to take paid vacations, even with time already accrued, with the same caveat.

However, depending on what state you live in, the employer might or might not have to pay you the value of any vacation already earned at the time of the suspension. Since you chose not to follow the rules of the forum and provide us with the name of your state, whether or not that is the case for you will have to go unanswered.

tonytee1947

State of residence

My apologies for not noticing the request for my state of residence. I live in Maryland. Does that make a difference? Thanks for your help.

pattytx

It does not make a difference as to cessation of accrual; that is legal in every state. It does make a difference as to payment of accrued vacation at termination. The latest (although they seem to fluctuate weekly) is that accrued vacation IS wages and must be paid at termination.

tonytee1947

accrued vacation

I guess I have another question. Apparently my employer is not suspending accrual, but rather suspending payment for vacation already accrued. In that scenario can I ask for payment for that vacation time, even though I am still in their employ?

Isis1

I guess I have another question. Apparently my employer is not suspending accrual, but rather suspending payment for vacation already accrued. In that scenario can I ask for payment for that vacation time, even though I am still in their employ?
nope. just as he is not required by law to GIVE you vacation time, he is not required by law to pay you for time not worked.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to phrase it another way.

Yes, you can ask.

The employer is free to deny your request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">