• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accts charged off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shooligan

What is the name of your state? PA

Received copy of my credit report and there are 6 accts I
never requested. 5 of them show they have been charged
off, 1 showing collection acct. They all scheduled to come
off my CR in 2004.

Looks like they go back to 1997 since last payments.

I never requested, received or used these credit cards.

I am afraid this information could be keeping me from
getting employment when background checks are
conducted.

Do I request an investigation by Experian? Keep ignoring
it like I have been doing? In past when I have sent in
my signature to collection companies, they have just
sold my account to someone else and it starts all over.

Thank you.

Ladynred

What do the other 2 CRA's say ???

If you know these accounts either are not yours or you never had applied for those accounts, then you need to dispute the entries with the CRA's as 'not yours'. They will have to list the accounts as 'in dispute' while they investigate. They're going to have to produce something with your signature on it to prove they're yours. If they can't prove it, they have to remove the entries.

Over at www.creditinfocenter.com, in the Discussions area, there are sample letters for disputing 'not mine' with the credit bureaus. You have to register, but its free. You'll find a 'prove it or remove it' letter there too.

S

shooligan

Don't know what the other two CRA's say. I did dispute
yesterday what Experian had on their files.

Should I wait for the results from Experian or just go
ahead and obtain CR from other two CRA's?

Ladynred

You should go ahead and get the reports from the other 2 CRA's to be sure of what they're ALL reporting. Sometimes it can be very different.

S

shooligan

OK ... just got CR from TransUnion and it will be disputed first thing tomorrow morning. As I suspected, my CR was obtained by a company in the course of my seeking employment. How do you prove they used the information on the CR to deny employment? They didn't even advise me they obtained the report.

Ladynred

Did you sign pre-employment papers for a background check, drug screening, or anything else ?? Chances are you signed a release allowing them to pull your credit report. I believe they must have this release in order for them to do it.

S

shooligan

Yes I did sign a release for all you mentioned. I guess I was expecting them to actually state the CR was the reason for not getting the job.

Ladynred

Unless you're job is in some financial capacity, it really shouldn't have much impact, but who knows. They don't have to tell you, unfortunately, it that was the reason.

S

shooligan

The job was at the police station as civilian aide.

One of the disputed accounts (First USA Bank, N.A.) sent me a letter stating "After researching your dispute, including a review of our records related to the account, we were unable to clearly determine your responsibility for the account." .......

Is it OK for me to send them back the Affidavit of Fact for fraudulent credit application?

Thanks.

S

shooligan

OK now that it has been over 30 days since I filed a dispute with the CRA, will the CRA notify me of the results or is it up to me to once again request my CR? Tks.

ibcurious

just a suggestion

By law the credit bureau that you have a dispute with has 30 days to conduct thier investigation. If they cant prove that the account is yours in 30 days they HAVE to remove it from your credit report. I would send them another letter stating that you had sent in a dispute to them on such and such date and that you are aware of the time frame that they are required to do their investigation. Send it by CERTIFIED RETURN RECEIPT MAIL. You should also request that they send notification that the item has been deleted and an updated copy of your credit report.

Also, by law anyone who uses your credit against you HAS to notify you and let you know the name and address of the CRA that provided the information. That would include employers.

Good luck!

S

shooligan

OK...got back report from CRA with the following outcome: 2 deleted, 2 updated, 1 remains and 1 reviewed. Anyone know what reviewed means? Is updated the same as verified?

Is my next step requesting verification from the collection agencies themselves or contact the credit card company's?

I still insist these credit cards were not requested, received or used by me.

BTW, the other CRA deleted 3 and verified 2.

Thanks.

ibcurious

Updated just means that they added or somehow changed the info in the file.

You should contact the creditors themselves BY MAIL. Request in writing proof that the account is yours. I would also do this by CRRM. If you do not have their address the CRA should provide you with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">