• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of leaving the scene.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pianoman1969

On Oct. 8th I received a citation for leaving the scene of an accident in Omaha, NE. My court appearance is on Nov 12th.

The accident happened at 16th and Harney in Omaha at approximately 5:00 pm. I was driving a 24 foot straight truck in the right lane, east bound on a one way street. As I approached 16th street I saw a FedEx truck parked on the south east corner, he was partly in the lane. I had to swerve to miss the truck, but there was a car in the next lane. I moved over as far as I could but still clipped the driver side mirror of the FedEx truck with the passenger side mirror of my truck which resulted in breaking the mirror and window on the FedEx truck. After the impact I was initially startled, I slowed down but couldn't stop safely. I couldn't turn on 15th because it is one way going north. On the next block there was an entrance to a parking lot, a large dumpster, and three parking spaces, one of which was occupied. I turned right on to 14th and stopped. The FedEx driver was right behind me and he parked in front of me. He was not injured, nor was he upset. He was instructed by his office to call the police to make an accident report.

After explaining to the police what happened they asked me why I came two blocks down. I said, "I was finding a safe place to park this big truck." They cited me for leaving the scene.

It has always been my understanding that it is necessary to move out of the way of traffic when in a minor accident, and with a large vehicle I thought it even more important to get it out of the way especially in 5:00 traffic downtown.

I'm a bit worried because I've been reading about similar cases where the driver's license is suspended or receives a $1000 fine. However, most of them involve injuries. My case does not.

I hoping to find some good advice. I can not afford an attorney and will have to request a public defender if I need one.

Thank you to anyone who can help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">